It is currently October 21st, 2017, 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2015 So far- Pic Heavy
PostPosted: April 13th, 2015, 12:27 pm 

Haven't had as much time to herp as I'd like. My wife and I had our second son just a few days before the new year, so schedules have been crazy and life is great overall. But the newest edition to our family has caused my wife and I to realign a lot of our priorities and where most of our time is spent. We were able to hit the field as a family and turn up a couple rosy boas early this year. We just strap the kids to our backs and I flip while my wife stays far away from any rocks! So, here are some photos from my findings from 2015. Some have been with family and some have been with friends. Hope you guys enjoy the photos, though none of these findings have any real significance, it is nice to see snakes, even the common ones, in such a dry season. Some of these finds have already been entered into the database, I just have to sit down and add the rest of them. Enjoy.
-Nick Barrientos

This was the first boa I've ever flipped. In the past, I have only seen them on the crawl or while cruising. This was an accomplishment for me! In-situ
ImageIMG_9640 by shredsteban, on Flickr

And this was the second boa I've flipped.ImageIMG_9703 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9708 by shredsteban, on Flickr

This boa was flipped by my friend Chris. In-situ
ImageIMG_9793 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9803 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then, I went out on a rainy day and only flipped lizards.

Side Blotched Lizard
ImageIMG_9829 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Granite Spiny Lizard
ImageIMG_9840 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then found this ruber a day after one of the rains we had. First photo is in-situ, then I spooked him after a couple shots and he retreated under the rocks that he was basking near.
ImageIMG_9818 by shredsteban, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9822 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then we had our first heat wave and I decided to night hike a spot that has been producing specks and rubers for me since 2008. I found 3 specks that night. 1 got away before I could take a decent photo, I posed one snake and took one in-situ photo without bothering the third snake. This place is very popular now. I told one person about it and now almost all of the younger generation of herpers knows about this place. Fortunately, most people are respectful, but I did hear from a friend that someone was collecting specks and releasing them near his house. This spot also still produces a lot of basking crotes regardless of how often people herp here. It is known as "The Speck Spot".
ImageIMG_9738 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9750 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9767 by shredsteban, on Flickr

I went back to this spot during the day and the city came through and bulldozed the pathway and added gravel. I did find one ruber. Fortunately, this didn't seem to bother the snakes too much since the stretch of rocks that the snakes utilize is very extensive and provides hundreds of unbothered thermoregulation spots. This first photo is one that I took when I noticed the snake crawling to his hiding spot. ImageIMG_0385 by shredsteban, on Flickr

This was after he made it safely under his rock.
ImageIMG_0388 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then, I hit the Santa Ana Mtn's with one of my non herping friends. He has a 4x4 vehicle that can crawl almost anything. The only snake that we found was this DOR Striped Racer that was hit by a service truck.
ImageIMG_0070 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Thing's have stayed pretty warm, so I night hiked another spot with my friend Nate and Cody (repaphin). We found this ruber.

In-situ
ImageIMG_0105 by shredsteban, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0126 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then I cruised Riverside County with my friend Dave Zeldin. We found a couple DORs and a ruber.ImageIMG_0163 by shredsteban, on Flickr

DOR Speckled RattlesnakeImageIMG_0175 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Then I cruised San Diego County with both Nate and Dave. We only turned up a couple of rubers.ImageIMG_0480 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0477 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Last, but not least, I found this Long-nosed Snake with my friend Nadia. She actually cruised it in her vehicle and someone had pulled over and taken the snake from her and drop kicked it back off the road. I pulled over and asked her what had happened and she explained. So I got out and we hiked around looking for it. It seemed a little lethargic and had a little bleeding, but it was okay.

ImageIMG_0710 by shredsteban, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0698 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: 2015 So far- Pic Heavy
PostPosted: April 13th, 2015, 5:27 pm 

Great stuff. I love the pattern on that DOR Speck. Was the rattle cut off? Great head shot of that boa.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 4:49 am 

Thanks for all the in-situ pics! Photoes in habitat are awesome.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 7:18 am 

LouB747 wrote:
Great stuff. I love the pattern on that DOR Speck. Was the rattle cut off? Great head shot of that boa.

Thanks Lou. Couldn't tell if the rattle had been cut off or if it was scraped off while being run over. I was pretty bummed about that one because that would have been my first desert-ish speck. I'm only ever finding the coastal ones!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 7:20 am 

jonathan wrote:
Thanks for all the in-situ pics! Photoes in habitat are awesome.

Your welcome! I've been trying to make a conscious decision to take more in-situ photos and trying to leave the snakes unbothered.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 9:49 am 

Nice post!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 7:25 pm 

Really like the rosy close-ups Nick!

Hope we can hit the field together someday soon...

Jeff

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 3:47 pm 

SurfinHerp wrote:
Really like the rosy close-ups Nick!

Hope we can hit the field together someday soon...

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! I hope we get some rain in the near future, otherwise everything out my way seems a bit too dry. Maybe we can cruise soon?