Some finds so far in 2015

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brennan

Some finds so far in 2015

Post by brennan »

I've been getting out a fair bit so far this year. Besides being completely obsessed with finding Canebrake Rattlesnakes as usual, I've also decided to spend some time targeting some other things.

in late march, Rman and I found this beauty on our first flip of the day. Canebrake with a heck of a long rattle string:

my son and i found this Tx ratsnake one evening on this road, as well as flipped 8 racers.

I finally found an Ambystoma sp in Iberville pa. Under AC. Marbled Salamander:

Made it out to Tunica to hike canebrakes, but only turned up two copperheads, a speckled king, and a Tx ratsnake. Copperhead (in situ):

went out road cruising one evening with Chris W for mud snakes, but didn't find one. but did get this Glossy Crayfish Snake. the first i've seen in La in a few years.

Finally, i found two La Milksnakes in the pas week. It had been nearly 20 years since a friend and I flipped a pair in the Atchafalaya Basin near his camp. So, i'd say that so far, these are two favorite finds of the year. La Milksnakes:

Soopaman

Re: Some finds so far in 2015

Post by Soopaman »

Sweet milks. I'm digging that redheaded beauty you found yesterday.

Congrats on a good year so far, excited to see what the Three Amigos turn up tomorrow!
beanie

Post by beanie »

Love those milks!
brennan

Post by brennan »

Thanks Kyle and Beanie. I think I like the pattern on the redhead better also. The red was much darker and it had a slight yellowish tint on the very top of the white bands. Not really evident on the pic from my P&S.

BTW, I'm thinking tomorrow is going lights out, Kyle.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Those milksnakes are really "scarlet king" like compared to the ones we get further west into eastern TX.

Interesting that you are still flipping those. In eastern Texas, my experience was by April you found them on the roads and not so much under bark/cover.

Dark of the moon + mid April + rain = milksnakes on the road in TX. Too bad I don't have time drive down to the annulata roads tonight.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

chrish wrote:Those milksnakes are really "scarlet king" like compared to the ones we get further west into eastern TX.

Interesting that you are still flipping those. In eastern Texas, my experience was by April you found them on the roads and not so much under bark/cover.

Dark of the moon + mid April + rain = milksnakes on the road in TX. Too bad I don't have time drive down to the annulata roads tonight.

Chris, I've flipped milks in East Texas will into the third week of May. Doesn't seem that unusual to me.

Would be fun hunting annulata now, but March was good too!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Soopaman wrote:Would be fun hunting annulata now, but March was good too!
Yeah, good point. A wet year is great for them. I generally don't find them too active on roads in March due to the cooler temps at night, but rain makes all the difference.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

chrish wrote:
Soopaman wrote:Would be fun hunting annulata now, but March was good too!
Yeah, good point. A wet year is great for them. I generally don't find them too active on roads in March due to the cooler temps at night, but rain makes all the difference.

I got mine on I think the second weekend of March. It was 65° and about 10pm. I don't think they mind the cooler temps. Though all in all, I've found 65° isn't really all that cold for finding stuff on the road. A friend had found one in similar conditions about a week prior.
There was rain earlier in the week on my find, but rain the day of for his. It's definitely helpful but I don't think it is necessary when it is breeding season for them. I imagine it becomes more and more of a requirement as the year continues and temperatures increase.

Flipped five amaura under boards today, as well. April is still doing pretty good for them under cover!