West Texas: Juno Road

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

snaketracker12

West Texas: Juno Road

Post by snaketracker12 »

Hi all, I will be going out to the Del Rio area in about a week or so and going out on Juno Road. Ive never been out there before I've been to 277,Langtry, Sanderson, River Rd but never to Juno. Im wondering what i can expect to see while I'm there and if the quantity of reptiles is just as high as it is on River Rd, from my experiences River Rd is the most productive. Basically i just want to know what you're guy's thoughts are on herping Juno Road. Please let me know :thumb: :)
chris_mcmartin

Re: West Texas: Juno Road

Post by chris_mcmartin »

snaketracker12 wrote:Im wondering what i can expect to see while I'm there and if the quantity of reptiles is just as high as it is on River Rd, from my experiences River Rd is the most productive.
That's a loaded question. :lol: The best answer would be, "It depends." It depends on a LOT of factors...rainfall, temperature, etc. River Road is typically drier, and on a given night, 10 degrees Fahrenheit or more hotter (largely due to elevation). There are nights when River Road is too hot, but the eastern counties are great. Of course, trying to figure that out ahead of time will require reliance on historical data combined with the sparse weather reporting capabilities in the Trans-Pecos/Big Bend region, and if you predict incorrectly, you've got a lot of driving ahead of you! :P

Personally, I don't remember having a lot of luck myself on Juno Road, but I don't have a lot of luck in general (at least as far as that holy grail--alterna--is concerned). That being said, this year is shaping up to be pretty good throughout the whole region due to the increased rainfall (but there is such a thing as too much!). I haven't heard any specific reports from Juno, but Sanderson and River Road are both producing some good stuff over the last couple of weeks.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

How long are you in the area? Snake Days is the 12th through 14th in Sanderson...
snaketracker12

Post by snaketracker12 »

chris_mcmartin wrote:How long are you in the area? Snake Days is the 12th through 14th in Sanderson...
I will be in the area for Snake Days. Im not sure if I'm going to come up to Sanderson yet because i will be staying in Lajitas for a few nights, but it depends, i won't know until i get there hahaha. Im heading to Del Rio after my stay in Lajitas for a few nights as well. How about you, are you coming down for snake days as well?
snaketracker12

Post by snaketracker12 »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
snaketracker12 wrote:Im wondering what i can expect to see while I'm there and if the quantity of reptiles is just as high as it is on River Rd, from my experiences River Rd is the most productive.
That's a loaded question. :lol: The best answer would be, "It depends." It depends on a LOT of factors...rainfall, temperature, etc. River Road is typically drier, and on a given night, 10 degrees Fahrenheit or more hotter (largely due to elevation). There are nights when River Road is too hot, but the eastern counties are great. Of course, trying to figure that out ahead of time will require reliance on historical data combined with the sparse weather reporting capabilities in the Trans-Pecos/Big Bend region, and if you predict incorrectly, you've got a lot of driving ahead of you! :P

Personally, I don't remember having a lot of luck myself on Juno Road, but I don't have a lot of luck in general (at least as far as that holy grail--alterna--is concerned). That being said, this year is shaping up to be pretty good throughout the whole region due to the increased rainfall (but there is such a thing as too much!). I haven't heard any specific reports from Juno, but Sanderson and River Road are both producing some good stuff over the last couple of weeks.
Okay, i've heard that it has been raining which in the next couple weeks could start to get stuff moving. I totally agree with River Road being too hot some nights and you're almost forced to head out and go some place else but when the humidity is high and/or if it has rained in the last couple days it can produce A LOT form my experience. I've never been out to Juno Road but my guess is that with some rain it could produce good numbers. I'm always trying to find new species that i have not found yet like the baird's, trans-pecos copperhead, ALTERNA, etc. :lol: so I'm trying to look at new areas and see if i get some luck which is needed to find THE ALTERNA :lol:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Juno Road is like the rest of that part of the Trans-Pecos - quiet. You won't see the number of snakes you see on roads like the River Road. I find all the roads in Val Verde and Terrell Counties to be very slow on most nights whereas the River Road will always produce higher numbers of animals (most of them aren't the "desirable" species, but you will see more animals on the river road).
snaketracker12

Post by snaketracker12 »

chrish wrote:Juno Road is like the rest of that part of the Trans-Pecos - quiet. You won't see the number of snakes you see on roads like the River Road. I find all the roads in Val Verde and Terrell Counties to be very slow on most nights whereas the River Road will always produce higher numbers of animals (most of them aren't the "desirable" species, but you will see more animals on the river road).
Okay thanks for the information. Just wanted to know what i was going to be getting into on Juno Road