It is currently March 6th, 2015, 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LA/TX/AR peeper hunt 2015
PostPosted: February 11th, 2015, 8:52 pm 

As my previous post stated I am looking for spring peepers for my graduate research viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20413
Now I'm fully permitted by state and wifely authorities and very tired of -20C weather. So my lab mate (Mark) and I have prepped the minivan and have a rough and likely unrealistic timeline for collecting peepers next month. First off we're going to hit the Eastern Indigo hunt in the Conecuh National Forest (AL) because the timing worked out really well and honestly how could we miss that for only a couple hours more driving. After that we'll be driving three transects trying to record calls (n=5) and non-lethal tissue samples (n=~10) every 30 km or so. Our estimated (and likely to shift a day or two) dates are:

March 2nd-5th: East to west through central Louisiana (~ the latitude of Alexandria) to Nacogdoches
March 6th-9th: North to south from Texarkana to Ouachita NF
March 10-13th: North to south from Searcy to Mountain View

As would be expected we will primarily work at night and hope to do some other herping during the afternoons (morning will be for sleeping and/or dealing with data). Because our time is so limited we have to more or less stay in these transect regions. If anyone is keen to join us they are more than welcome during the day or night. We're meeting up with a friend in Nacogdoches but any other day would be great to meet up with people and chat herps and herping. We'd also love any advice people are willing to share on these areas and local herps. Although peepers are our main target our interests are broad and we'd be keen to see anything. Both of us have soft spots and have worked on crotalids, I am very excited for the turtle diversity and the salamanders of the Ouachitas seem very cool. Again, we are from Canada, it's the middle of winter and we'll be sleep deprived so even exceptionally common species will be greeted with over the top excitement. Any thoughts would be most welcome, in exchange I offer the promise of a post of this trip and some shots of Canadian herps.
Many thanks,
Nick
ImageIMGP5863 by nacairn, on Flickr
ImageIMGP8486 by nacairn, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: LA/TX/AR peeper hunt 2015
PostPosted: February 18th, 2015, 2:05 pm 

Good luck getting people to give away their peeper spots :)

Also, when herping the south and you come across a dilapidated homestead on the side of the road with lots of nice cover littering the ground, make sure that it is in fact uninhabitat, it could just be somebody's yard ornaments. We are fond of that stuff in the south.

Post subject: Re: LA/TX/AR peeper hunt 2015
PostPosted: February 18th, 2015, 7:00 pm 

Thanks Kyle, I guess I'll have to use some Canadian mind tricks (politely asking and bringing beer) to loosen tongues about peeper localities.
I'll make sure to check before going on to any private property. Yard detritus seems to be pretty universal but it will be really nice to be finding critters under it in March.
Best,
Nick