First big rains in NJ + PA : What salamanders?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

intermedius

First big rains in NJ + PA : What salamanders?

Post by intermedius »

Hey guys,

Today, the first big rains for he migrations occurred and the salamanders will now start to wake and go to their vernal pools. What do you expect to find? If you find some, post it here so we can see the beautiful amphibians if you can.

Justin
Darnell Brister

Re: First big rains in NJ + PA : What salamanders?

Post by Darnell Brister »

It doesn't seem to be raining too much, but as far as Central Jersey and Southeast Pennsylvania I've seen plenty of spotted salamanders and egg masses. Salamanders have been crossing since late February. On March 12th Scott and I took a trip to North Jersey to find every vernal was pretty much dry with no salamanders. I would assume they are still dry up there with the lack of heavy rains and the way the dry vernal post is going.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

intermedius wrote:Hey guys,

Today, the first big rains for he migrations occurred and the salamanders will now start to wake and go to their vernal pools. What do you expect to find? If you find some, post it here so we can see the beautiful amphibians if you can.

Justin

Your alittle late bro; the migration for our area happened in early march

However stuff may be moving north of us since they saw no movement last time

However most vernals are dry at this time
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

You missed it by almost a month.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Sorry guys, I guess it's more of the snake awakening? :oops: :cry:

Justin
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

intermedius wrote:Hey guys,

Justin
You might want to try doing a little research before making a post like this. It makes you come across a little foolish. Don't want to discourage you from posting or anything just some hopefully constructive criticism. Good luck out there! You will likely see some movement tonight just not a mass migration.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I think snakes received a rude awakening earlier than normal this year, and now they're back down for a nap. Justin, I'd suggest going back and reading some past threads. You'll learn a lot compared to what you may find in field guides. (I learn more every year.) Even about the Spring migration you were talking about. It's been talked about and posted in the last month by a ton of our members.
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

brick911 wrote:I think snakes received a rude awakening earlier than normal this year, and now they're back down for a nap. Justin, I'd suggest going back and reading some past threads. You'll learn a lot compared to what you may find in field guides. (I learn more every year.) Even about the Spring migration you were talking about. It's been talked about and posted in the last month by a ton of our members.
Bingo. You will be amazed at how much you learn just by being on the forum. Some of the guys on here have been herping for years and have a wealth of knowledge and experience :beer:
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Ok. Should I delete this topic, or should it just be a conversation zone. I know that I'll know more about the forum and its posts later. I'll always take constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Justin
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

No your 13, don't worry about it.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

millside

Post by millside »

you did not miss anything yet. ;)
just head north.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

How's Saturday night looking for you Doug? Hopeful?
Notread

Post by Notread »

At this point I think Doug's salamanders are just going to wait for next year. :lol:

It's like, "ooops, we all slept in.... Oh well, might as well roll with it now"
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I don't know. The need to drop some spermatophores is a little more motivating than say, yard work. :) Are all the New England guys still waiting too? I'm guessing it might be sporadic with wherever the rain hit earlier in the month.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

I did have some stuff moving across dry pavement a few weeks ago.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

intermedius wrote:Ok. Should I delete this topic, or should it just be a conversation zone. I know that I'll know more about the forum and its posts later. I'll always take constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Justin
Justin, there are NO foolish questions ... don't be afraid to ask, whether it's on this forum, in school, at the job, or in life. The only fool is the person who doesn't take the time or the effort to ask about what they don't know ... or the critic who dismisses your questions as foolish ...

good luck on your quests
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

Calling your post foolish was harsh and arrogant on my part. I apologize Justin. Judging by some of your other posts, your knowledge of herpetology vastly exceeds mine anyway. Good luck out there and if you ever come down to Montgomery County again, I'd love to get out in the field with you!
millside

Post by millside »

thank you for that answer Jeffreyrichard.
you are exactly right. there are no fooish questions.

well, unless of course you are asking what kind of larval salamander is this? :roll:
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Don't worry, it's all cool now.

Justin
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Rain-snow mix in North Jersey? Should I bother trying it? I have struck out twice already.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

kyle loucks wrote:Rain-snow mix in North Jersey? Should I bother trying it? I have struck out twice already.
Better start to batten down the hatches. Wait. . . I'll be in Puerto Rico never mind :thumb:.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

intermedius wrote:
kyle loucks wrote:Rain-snow mix in North Jersey? Should I bother trying it? I have struck out twice already.
Better start to batten down the hatches. Wait. . . I'll be in Puerto Rico never mind :thumb:.
Take your camera....
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I surly will, many of the guys that have posted have been requesting. I might even get myself a new camara with all that compound interest I've been getting in my Bank Account. Algebra actually helps for once. 8-) . My goals are to find at least one Coqui, three species of lizard, and one snake while there.

Justin
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

intermedius wrote:I surly will, many of the guys that have posted have been requesting. I might even get myself a new camara with all that compound interest I've been getting in my Bank Account. Algebra actually helps for once. 8-) . My goals are to find at least one Coqui, three species of lizard, and one snake while there.

Justin
I didn't know about compounded interest until junior year of high school, can you scan your birth certificate to prove your thirteen, lol....hah, interest in bank accounts about as rare as the nj queen snake.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

It might be because each school district has a different curriculum. Thus, a difference in lessons. We use the University of Chicago Textbooks.

Justin