Anolis carolinensis and Sceloporus undulatus

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Anolis carolinensis and Sceloporus undulatus

Post by Noah M »

I found myself around Alachua County, FL wilderness for some hon-herp related business, but found a few of these guys. I mean, they are practically everywhere so no big surprise there, but I thought it was neat to see the one in shed, and the last one looks like it has a pretty cool pattern. I never have paid that close attention to the anoles, 'cept that dewlap is pretty cool when they flash it. How common are the non-green variety? I know poor photo quality. I didn't have my better camera out with me today.

Here is the non-green green anole. Of course, it could also not be Anolis carolinensis, but then what would it be?

I saw something like 6 of these flying herps :) and thought I would share. They're not a terribly common sight IMO.

jayder85

Re: Anolis carolinensis

Post by jayder85 »

Green Anoles are a lot like Chameleons, in fact, many are actually sold as such in some pet stores. They have the ability to change from green to brown based on mood or temperature. I love anoles! I used to seen them all the time in Mississippi and enjoyed just getting to set back and watch them do there thing.
Noah M

Re: Anolis carolinensis

Post by Noah M »

Yes, they are cool. The one above looks almost blue to me, or kinda like a blue-gray, not quite brown. I guess it could have been the lighting, or just me. I do suffer a bit from color blindness.

I went back out to Alachua County, in a different area though, and got these with my better camera. The weather today has just been beautiful and I love being outside.

And then there was this guy. He was a very well behaved Sceloporus undulatus.

This one below is one of my favorite shots. It looks like s/he is pondering something rather deep doesn't it?