State and Regional Field Guide List...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chris Smith

State and Regional Field Guide List...

Post by Chris Smith »

Hey all,

Before the crash of FHF in 2010 we had a nice list of field guides by state and/or region. I would like to see something like this again! Instead of a few people spending count-less hours trying to dig up guides, let each of us post a few that we know of. Please review the list before posting to avoid duplicate effort.

Minnesota:

Breckenridge, W.J. 1944. Reptiles and Amphibians of Minnesota.

MN DNR. 2010. Snakes and Lizards of Minnesota.

Oldfield, B. and J. J. Moriarty. 1994. Amphibians and Reptile Native to Minnesota. University of Minnesota Press.

Tekiela, S. 2003. Reptiles & Amphibians of Minnesota. Adventure Publications.

North Dakota

Hoberg, T. and C. Gause. Reptiles & Amphibians of North Dakota.

Wheeler, G.C. and J. Wheeler. 1966. The Amphibians and Reptiles of North Dakota.

South Dakota

Kiesow, A.M. 2006. Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of South Dakota.

-Chris
JAMAUGHN

Re: State and Regional Field Guide List...

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Thanks for starting this. I'm a book nut, so this guide will come in handy for feeding my habit :lol: .

Here's some California and western regional books:

Stebbins, Robert C. California Amphibians and Reptiles. The University of California Press, 1972.

Stebbins, Robert C., and McGinnis, Samuel M. Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of California: Revised Edition (California Natural History Guides)University of California Press, 2012. (Forthcoming: Available June 2012)

Stebbins, Robert C. A Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians. 3rd Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003.

Lemm, Jeffrey. Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of the San Diego Region (California Natural History Guides).
University of California Press, 2006.

Brown, Philip R. A Field Guide to Snakes of California. Gulf Publishing Co., 1997.

Basey, Harold E. Discovering Sierra Reptiles and Amphibians. Yosemite Association and Sequoia Natural History Association, 1976, 1991.

Sanborn, Sherburn R. The Lizard-Watching Guide - The Common Lizards of Southern California's Mojave and Colorado Deserts.
Lorraine Press, 1994.

Hubbs, Brian. Mountain Kings - A Collective Natural History of California, Sonoran, Durango and Queretaro Mountain Kingsnakes.
Tricolor Books, 2004.

Hubbs, Brian. Common Kingsnakes, A Natural History of Lampropeltis getula. 2009.

Mulks, Mitchell. Zonata, the California Mountain Kingsnake. LM Digital, 2004.

Bartlett, R. D. & Patricia P. Bartlett. Guide and Reference to the Amphibians of Western North America (North of Mexico) and Hawaii.
University Press of Florida, 2009. (In the Same series: Snakes of Western North America (North of Mexico) and Hawaii, and Lizards and Turtles of Western North America (North of Mexico) and Hawaii.)

Pacific Northwest:

St. John, Alan D. Reptiles of the Northwest: Alaska to California; Rockies to the Coast. Lone Pine Publishing, 2002.

Jones, Lawrence L. C. , William P. Leonard, Deanna H. Olson, editors. Amphibians of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle Audubon Society, 2005.

Brown et. al. Reptiles of Washington and Oregon. Seattle Audubon Society,1995.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

New Mexico

Amphibians and Reptiles of New Mexico - William G. Degenhardt (Author), Charles W. Painter (Author), Andrew H. Price (Author), Clay M. Garrett (Illustrator), Roger Conant

Oklahoma

A Field Guide to Oklahoma's Amphibians and Reptiles - Greg Sievert (Author), Lynnette Sievert (Author)

Southwest

Lizards of the American SW - Lawrence Jones (Editor), Rob Lovich (Editor)
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

I have this built, almost. I recovered all of the pages with the regional guides and am reformatting them for the site. Canada and Mexico are ready to go, I just need to get USA ready.

So if you guys would email me at [email protected] the bibliography (along with an image of the guide cover) of any guides (north america and canada), I will get this up very soon. Cool?

thanks,
scott
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Cool. I will send you cover images in a bit. :thumb:

-Chris
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

1983, University of Idaho Press, Moscow.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Please email the citations and images. Thanks.

[email protected]
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Is this project still active?

I can add a lot more citations.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

http://www.herpnation.com/category/field-guides/

I have everything that used to be on the fieldherpforum.com website (now it is just the forum at that domain) in the "blog" section on HerpNation.com, but I would love to get a more detailed and better laid out area for this on HerpNation.com if another herper will help. :) Any takers?

scott
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I probably will as a winter project. I'll send you a PM.