Android app is in the market

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FunkyRes

Re: Android app is in the market

Post by FunkyRes »

I finally have a smartphone (only had tablet before) - the damn battery goes dead awful fast, I may continue to largely use my dumb cell phone, but I should be able to use this app some more - at least for DORs I stumble upon when not specifically herping.
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

Used the app today on 4 different finds. Gotta say, I'm a big fan of it. My only criticism is that I wish it took record of air temps, elevation, etc... I had to go back in and edit them afterward, and at that point I'm wondering why I just don't do the whole thing manually anyway.

*edit* - Oh yeah, and it only lets me use one voucher photo. Which I guess is sufficient enough, but I've always added a couple more from different angles for species clarity.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I put out a really basic app just to get it working. The majority of people do not enter temperature data and other things, and usually just one voucher photo as well. As I get other changes implemented on the site, I will go back and add more features to the mobile app.
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't mean to cut the product down, just some things I would've liked. I'm excited to see what improvements are made, as you mentioned adding to it. At least it marks the time and the GPS coordinates on the spot. I just look up the weather history for filling in stuff afterward.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Just used it tonight, young bullfrog and an adult treefrog.

Both cases the georeference was off - one by quite a bit, but both were easy to fix by editing the record and using the google map tool, and I don't think there is anything Don can do about the geo-reference being off, the battery on this phone dies so damn quickly if I don't turn off a lot of that crap that has nothing to do with making calls (the main function of the phone), so I suspect it was getting geo-location based upon IP address for 3g service and that just can't be accurate all the time.

The app actually seemed quite a bit improved over the last time I used it.