What do you think?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

What do you think?

Post by brick911 »

I was at a county park that had a nature center today and they had all these specimens in tanks that they found in the park. I was gonna take pictures and enter them in the db, but didn't know if I should. On one hand, the naturalist confirmed they were found there, but on the other hand, I didn't find them. Needless to say, I debated this back and forth for a while before not taking any pics. I could argue this all day on whether its valid data or not. Thoughts?

Again, to be clear, I DIDN'T take any pics, but could always go back if you guys thought it was a good idea. This is the one spot where I think the competition is warping my logic. I felt like it was cheating, when really, it may have been good data. I don't know. Please advise.

Bob
FunkyRes

Re: What do you think?

Post by FunkyRes »

Unless you know the date of capture I wouldn't bother. I think it would be more useful to add them to a list of things to look for and document while you are there.

You could also introduce the naturalist there to NAFHA and encourage them to enter their finds into the database, they probably document far more than they stick behind glass.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

FunkyRes wrote:Unless you know the date of capture I wouldn't bother. I think it would be more useful to add them to a list of things to look for and document while you are there.

You could also introduce the naturalist there to NAFHA and encourage them to enter their finds into the database, they probably document far more than they stick behind glass.
I agree.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I don't think it's safe to enter anything found by someone else into the database unless you know exactly when it was captured, where it was captured, who captured it, and trust them enough to be able to vouch for their memory and honesty.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I'm going to the Phoenix zoo tomorrow and photograph turtles in the lagoon... :lol: Jus kiddin', but fundad and I saw a bunch of Lowland Leopard Frogs tonite in Maricopa County.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Ok, that was my main reason was it'd only be a basic species with no additional data. I'm glad you guys agree. I have her card, so I'll be trying to work the naherp thing on her. I only briefly mentioned it in this first interaction.
chrish

Post by chrish »

This is a sticky issue. How "involved" in the find do you have to be to be the one who enters the data.
Can I download the data from a major museum collection and enter it all myself?

I think they should create their own museum NAFHA membership and enter them under their museum name.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

chrish wrote:This is a sticky issue. How "involved" in the find do you have to be to be the one who enters the data.
Can I download the data from a major museum collection and enter it all myself?
Most museums require you to ask permission before you reproduce their data elsewhere.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Sticky issue is right. That's why I figured I'd discuss. Personally, I'd rather only be putting my info and finds in, but is that ego talking instead of what's best for the db? I don't know. As it stands, I chose not to.