New Data Request - Oct 16, 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

Re: New Data Request - Oct 16, 2012

Post by Fundad »

Oh Look Arizona starts entering data, and Bam a Data Request..

Who knew?

Congrats to Don, Dave, Terry, and the AZ chapter membership on their first Request.

Mad props to you all. I am proud of you.

Dave and Terry have worked tirelessly to get that chapter rolling..

Brian Hinds
California Chapter President
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Awesome, great job guys.

Tom's a good fella with a good staff. For example - that bullfrog control work I mentioned a while back? Ask him about it.

Rock on. This could be the start of a very productive and fun collaboration.
Jimi
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

:thumb:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

It's an honor to have Mr Jones request our data. Hopefully Dave or Terry will reach out him after the request to continue to build that relationship.

Fundad
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Steve Bledsoe, Dave Weber, and Kent VanSooey worked with Dr. Jones to get the request made. I presume they will continue to further the relationship after this data request is complete as well.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

This might spur our AZ members to enter even more data in the future...I am one of the guilty ones who had very little to offer this request...I guess i spend too much time in CA... :lol:
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

I added a couple more last night (although they are not recent sightings) that may be used.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Steve Bledsoe, Dave Weber, and Kent VanSooey worked with Dr. Jones to get the request made. I presume they will continue to further the relationship after this data request is complete as well.

Right on :thumb: Mad props to Steve and Kent as well those mentioned above.. Great Job.. :beer:

Fundad
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

This is what we're here for, not the other garbage that goes on on the other forums...good job everyone!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Good work!
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

:thumb:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I just got back from SWPARC where I discussed this some with Tom. Not so much his data request, as where you all might want to go from there. If anywhere.

Basically, AzGFD has "all kinds of opportunities" for herpers to interact or help out - programs and projects galore. And all sorts of need. And I think they have some necessary bureaucracy developed - some systems, some tools - to help manage putting those things together. Things one might not immediately think about - like "What happens if I wreck a tire on my own truck, doing a volunteer survey? Who pays to fix it?"

I suggest the AZ chapter - and really all the chapters - start thinking about what other - if any - kinds of opportunities to interact would interest you, and what levels of commitment your members could make. Like, would you be interested in, and more or less willing to perform, one-off surveys (bioblitzes, annual "snake counts" etc), one-off management projects (plantings, construction, etc), or things requiring sustained commitments (population monitoring, bullfrog control, weed mgt, etc).

I think we in NAFHA have a real chance to do some good here. But there's also some risk of miscommunication, of unrealistic expectations on each side. I'd hate for NAFHA to over-promise and under-deliver - like, for 15 people to say they can show up for a survey or a build or a bullfrog shoot, and then have 3 actually show up.

Since we've all seen how spectacularly badly things can go by "talking" on the forums, does anyone have a suggestion for how interested members might communicate with each other and with agencies, in an organized fashion? (Like, other than "playing telephone" via PM?) In the bylaws the conservation officer is the "elected liaison" from NAFHA to agencies academia etc. But there's really no further direction, empowerment, sideboards, etc on how & how not to do so. I'll try to work it out in my own chapter - because for example I expect opportunities for my chapter (and visitors!) will soon be communicated from Nevada - and maybe the chapters can also talk to each other?

Thanks for thinking about this.

Cheers,
Jimi
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I'd hate for NAFHA to over-promise and under-deliver - like, for 15 people to say they can show up for a survey or a build or a bullfrog shoot, and then have 3 actually show up
Actually Jimi,

This has been a bit of a problem for us in some of our So Cal Surveys.. (And we have a LARGE chapter)

Hard to get people to show up and count Toad tadpoles, during the 2 week in March, for example (when so many other herping opportunities are happening.)

Then we get excuses and misleading press at times too from members that flake out for various reasons.
For example
We had some members that flaked due to their board lines being checked by other NAFHA members, "supposedly".

In other words, its extremely important to follow through (And excuses mount when it comes time to having the rubber meet the road) with any project we start or to agree to help with.

Fundad
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Actually Jimi,

This has been a bit of a problem for us
Yeah, I didn't think I was making a seriously wild-ass guess there...which is why I bring it up. All the PARC chapters I've peeked into, they lean kind of heavy-to-academic; even some of the agency folks who participate appear (to me) to be more "researchy" than "practical". At this last meeting I got a bit of an impression of eager young folks chomping to plug into "volunteer capacity". Not really quite knowing how, but eager. They know NAFHA is "out there" and they seem very interested in reaching out to us.

However, the sorts of projects they seemed interested in, appeared to me to be the kinds of things that require serious dedication and commitment. Occupancy-based surveys of rare critters, stuff like that. Read: "many repeat visits, without much luck". I think :"what the hell sort of volunteer is going to stick with that???"

It felt kind of like a slow-motion setup for 360-degree disappointment, which is why I counseled steady patience and putting one foot in front of the other. To reiterate, this is my concern:
But there's also some risk of miscommunication, of unrealistic expectations on each side.
Any of you guys have any ideas for proceeding? Want to take this chat offline, or do it here? I guess the simplest approach might be to just leave it to the agencies to sign up volunteers on an individual basis. Volunteers who approach them on an individual basis. But that seems so lame. As in, "If a NAFHA steps on a twig in the forest and nobody hears, does a NAFHA exist?" I think we can & ought to prove it exists. We just need to be careful not to "prove" a falsehood - that it does not exist. My $.02 anyway...worth that on my lucky days.

Cheers,
Jimi