NAFHA in 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

NAFHA in 2012

Post by jonathan »

Here is my breakdown of what went on in NAFHA in 2012.

NAFHA "is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to uniting amateur, private and professional herpetologists from Canada, the United States and Mexico toward the common goal of better understanding, conserving and managing native North American reptiles and amphibians."

NAFHA's homepage explains the chapters, conservancy projects, surveys, and database contests:

http://www.nafha.org/

NAHERP.COM

In 2012 NAFHA members contributed 32,241 records to the NAHERP database, which now has nearly 123,000 records.

http://www.naherp.com/

The main purpose of the database is to give amateur field herpers a means to aid herp researchers and influence the decisions made by government and conservation groups. We want to give scientists and agencies accurate information on how common herps really are and where they're actually found. We also are building good will between professional and amateur herpetologists and between conservationists and field herpers by showing them how they can work together.

In 2012 NAHERP.com had 17 different data requests from state/county agencies and university researchers. That was more than double the best previous year, and more than the total of all previous years combined! A total of 30 requests have now been made for information from the NAHERP database (28 of which were approved by the members who entered the relevant data and one which is pending approval). Previous requests were made for formulating the Species of Special Concern list and Forest Sensitive Species list in California, niche modeling in the Great Plains, potential impact of local climate changes in the Great Lakes, and measuring the genetic diversity of pond turtle populations. This year's requests included:

* Location of Wood Frog breeding pools in five eastern states for a study of possible reservoirs for ranavirus.

* Location of African Clawed Frog populations in California for a study of their impact on local ecosystems.

* Location of Fence Lizards in the Northwest for a population distribution model.

* Data on Northern Leopard Frogs in North Dakota for a study of their genetic diversity.

* Data on herps found in the western Santa Monica Mountains of California for a project to assess the biodiversity of private lands versus public/protected lands.

* Data on the distribution of non-native turtles in southern California in order to study their impact on local Western Pond Turtle populations.

* Data on Mediterranean House Geckos in order to study their range expansion and predict future expansion.

* Two authors (William Flaxington and Tom Jones) requested data for their upcoming books on the distribution and natural history of herps in California and Arizona.

* The Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, Michigan Herp Atlas Project, US Forest Service in California, Maryland Reptile and Amphibian Atlas, Arizona Fish and Game department, and the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey also requested records.

As the volume of data has shot past 100,000 records and NAFHA's resources have been publicized, the number of data requests is increasing substantially. All data in NAHERP.com is tightly protected. No locality data other than the county is ever available to the public, and no data is released to a requesting agency without a vote by the contributing members. Sensitive entries can be kept completely hidden from the public if so marked. Even if the members vote to release data for a particular request, any individual member always has the ability to keep his/her data from being released. If you have any questions, talk to Don Becker, who is responsible for site code and data security and is the only person in NAFHA who can ever see any of the hidden data, which he does not access unless a problem arises with the entry.

HERP SURVEYS

NAFHA also does herp surveys - it's a way for conservation groups to get data about the herps on their land and a way for us to get onto private land that no one else herps and collect more data for NAHERP. Herp surveys have now included:

* Tejon Ranch Conservancy, Escondido Creek Conservancy, San Dieguito River Conservancy, Soquel Demonstration Forest, Fallbrook Land Conservancy, Caspers Wilderness Park, and undisclosed locations in California
* Great Basin National Park in Nevada
* Chatfield Park and Lake Pueblo State Park in Colorado
* Red Cliffs Desert Reserve and Gunlock Reservoir State Park in Utah
* Four Corners area in Colorado/Utah/New Mexico/Arizona
* Mills Canyon in New Mexico
* McDowell Sonoran Conservancy in Arizona
* Baton Rouge Commission land in Louisiana
* DeSoto State Park and Conecuh National Forest in Alabama
* Everglades in Florida
* Delmarva Peninsula in Delaware/Maryland/Virginia
* Maryland Herp Atlas
* Delaware Water Gap in Pennsylvania
* Columbia River Gorge in Washington
* Sierra Madre Occidental in Sonora, Mexico

Of course, there was also the National NAFHA meeting at Snake Road in Illinois and chapter outings in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Louisiana, Maryland, and I'm sure other states. The Rocky Mountain Chapter held what will become annual "Pickle parties" in Utah 2012 for DOR specimen preservation in conjunction with UtahDNR and BYU and UVU universities herpetological collections. And NAFHA was thanked in 2011 by the Tejon Ranch Conservancy for collecting data that helped make the case for them to receive a $15.8 million grant that facilitates the purchase of 62,000 acres of amazing land that will now be protected from development.

EDUCATION EVENTS

NAFHA members across the country have been spearheading events that educate the public about herps. Some of the projects I know of include Jim Bass and Josh Cummings at the Grassy Hollow Visitor Center, Steve Bledsoe and other California NAFHA members with the Orange County parks system, Dave Weber and AZ Chapter members to City of Scottsdale residents and Preserve stewards, Mike Pingleton, Josh Holbrook, Tamara McConnell, and other Southeast NAFHA members at DeSoto State Park, and a number of different chapters at various herp shows.

I'm sure I missed stuff - feel free to add or ask questions.
hellihooks

Re: NAFHA in 2012

Post by hellihooks »

While arguable somewhat self-centered, Nafha (in Ca. at least) is making its presence known at some of the Reptile Supershows, and San Diego Zoo's 'Reptilemania' by way of a Nafha Ed Booth... wherein we familiarize herp enthusiasts to the efficacy and value of the citizen scientist paradigm and the HERP project.
While I believe they're making similar efforts in AZ, this is something I would like to see across the Nation... :thumb:
You'd be surprised at how many folks, into herps, have never heard of Nafha... :shock: :D jim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

hellihooks wrote:While arguable somewhat self-centered, Nafha (in Ca. at least) is making its presence known at some of the Reptile Supershows, and San Diego Zoo's 'Reptilemania' by way of a Nafha Ed Booth... wherein we familiarize herp enthusiasts to the efficacy and value of the citizen scientist paradigm and the HERP project.
While I believe they're making similar efforts in AZ, this is something I would like to see across the Nation... :thumb:
You'd be surprised at how many folks, into herps, have never heard of Nafha... :shock: :D jim
here may be the crux of what is an underlying issue with many folks. could be why "spots get pounded". by getting too many "public" involved, it may be doing harm. your talking advertising at "deli-cup" conventions. there is a huge difference between a "field herper", and (i'll steal this from a newb post to make the point) a "herpist". now you have made it "cool" to be a field herper. everyone is doing it. many of these are the same folks who have no clue really how to handle, or more importantly, not handle snakes. you bring up citizen scientists. well, it takes a special person to fall into this category. it took me 30 years to actually know what i am talking about. i'm not trying to be arrogant either. chris just posted a quote on facebook. "people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care". how many of these new recruits would drop a tear when confronted with the inevitable extirpation of a species within their state? would they even notice? do they even understand the reality of what is truly going on? i understand that this is the point of education, but many will never get it. many people do not belong in the field. not saying they don't have the right. this belonging i talk about has all to do with understanding. not herps only. i'm talking about understanding the intricate processes that coalesce to create what is called the ecosystem. this knowledge is paramount to being a true "citizen scientist". this is when you gain clout. sometimes i think the aim of nafha is getting off track. it seems more to be a giant club than an organization, and i think the constant bickering is a perfect example. if advertising just to gather "data collectors" is the goal, be careful, you may be opening pandora's box.

jim, i follow you on your passion, but i do not want to see this across the nation. must be nice to be able to just wander on blm land until you get sick of it. some of wisconsin's best spots are about the size of half a city block, with nothing close other than fragmented ag fields. i don't want a bunch of rookies running all over the place because they met someone from the booth next to where they they got a super-cool hypomelanistic ratsnake. i'm just saying, this ain't california.

-ben
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

this knowledge is paramount to being a true "citizen scientist". this is when you gain clout.
Ben,

I think you should take a look into the definition of citizen science. The concept of gaining clout doesn't seem to arise in any definition I am familiar with. To steal from birds.cornell.edu's definition, I've always considered citizen science to be "a philosophy of public engagement in scientific discourse." The goal is to get the average citizen involved and engaged in science and I think that's exactly what outreach like the CA Chapter's aims to do.

Chris
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Many of the people we talk to already ARE field herpers, and have tons of data, that they've never known what to do with.
We invite folks to check out NAFHA, and what we do (conservation surveys, data collection, ect) and if they like what we're doing, to perhaps consider becoming more involved.
If you can't in good conscience, recommend Nafha to others... why are you a member? Or are you saying "our little 'boys club' has enough members... cause... that's kinda what it sounds like. :roll: jim
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

It's definitely a tightrope to walk...how best to get more people involved, but to be involved responsibly?

I'd say advertising NAFHA at a deli-cup event isn't inherently a bad idea; the worst that could happen is that people otherwise uninterested would be made aware that yes, herps do exist in their area, and then start going out herping with no guidance. I think a more likely scenario (or perhaps "key message") from such a booth is, "Join NAFHA and let us help you learn the ropes, and how to conduct yourselves in an ethical manner in the field."
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

And in reference to the original post: Is the "2011" reference x2 intentional or inadvertent?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

chris_mcmartin wrote:It's definitely a tightrope to walk...how best to get more people involved, but to be involved responsibly?

I'd say advertising NAFHA at a deli-cup event isn't inherently a bad idea; the worst that could happen is that people otherwise uninterested would be made aware that yes, herps do exist in their area, and then start going out herping with no guidance. I think a more likely scenario (or perhaps "key message") from such a booth is, "Join NAFHA and let us help you learn the ropes, and how to conduct yourselves in an ethical manner in the field."
I can't speak for other chapters, but Education has always been a high priority in our chapter... we have officers (8 BTW) and we USE THEM... :lol: :lol: jim
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

muskiemagnet wrote:here may be the crux of what is an underlying issue with many folks. could be why "spots get pounded". by getting too many "public" involved, it may be doing harm. your talking advertising at "deli-cup" conventions. there is a huge difference between a "field herper", and (i'll steal this from a newb post to make the point) a "herpist". now you have made it "cool" to be a field herper. everyone is doing it. many of these are the same folks who have no clue really how to handle, or more importantly, not handle snakes....

how many of these new recruits would drop a tear when confronted with the inevitable extirpation of a species within their state? would they even notice? do they even understand the reality of what is truly going on? i understand that this is the point of education, but many will never get it. many people do not belong in the field.
Ben, I have two thoughts...

First, if someone gets involved with herping, then one of the MOST likely ways that they will be an conscientious and informed herper is if they get their start via something like NAFHA. I'm not saying that guarantees anything, but it's a pretty good place to start.

Second, we are NOT getting overwhelmed with extirpations of species because there are too many herpers. We are getting overwhelmed with extirpations due to habitat loss, habitat destruction, habitat alteration, introduced species, and disease. And ALL of those issues are made worse by the fact that there are not enough people who care about herps and wildlife in general! The issue is not too many herpers, but too few. The only way we will ever preserve wildlife is if so many people care about wildlife that they're willing to make sacrifices in order to save natural habitat and stop the spread of invasive species and disease. And if that's going to happen, we need every herper we can get.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

chris_mcmartin wrote:And in reference to the original post: Is the "2011" reference x2 intentional or inadvertent?
No, accidental remnants of the fact that I copied the format from the post I did last year.

I would fix it, and add in the education events that Jim mentioned, but...the edit function is gone?
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i know that it seems i am stepping on toes, but it is a tight-rope as chris mentioned. regardless of definitions, i am merely stating what could potentially happen. i know you guys are doing a good job at educating, and i applaud you all. what got me to respond to this was the mention of "wanting to see this nationwide". well, i don't. from my understanding, word got out here in wisconsin to an area herp club that there were timbers present in a certain location. they scheduled a "field trip", and went to this protected spot, and handled timbers with hooks just so they could. the area is off limits, and i don't even go there. as i mentioned, this is not california. these are fragile areas that shouldn't be made subject to sustained pressure, and we all know how fast word spreads. personally, i think it will work the other way around. for those passionate enough, they will eventually find us.

hey jonathan, i get it. i truly do. you mentioned habitat issues three times. habitat is the most important part of herps. without it they will be gone. we just don't have that much left. it's interesting to look at a map of "wild" lands in the US. when ecologists started understanding the importance of land, the government started setting it aside. there is a lot more green in the west, and what is in the east, has been scarred by ignorance. again, this ain't california.

-ben
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

one last thing, i have been basing my ideas off of my own biases. i am speaking up against your biases. sort of interesting.

all i can say is i'll back down from this now. do what you have to fight it as you see fit. don't let it get the way it is here.

-ben
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

It's not anything that needs to be 'fought over'... Every chapter has the ability to decide these type of things, for themselves. It's my (and our chapter's) opinion that Nafha Ed booths do far more good than harm, and are something every chapter might want to consider.
Feel free to ignore one man's opinion and do what you think best, for your chapter. Wouldn't have it any other way... 8-) jim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Bass wrote: It's my (and our chapter's) opinion that Nafha Ed booths do far more good than harm
That "opinion" may well be correct and I certainly hope so. But, would you happen to have any metrics on that? Just sayin', on what grounds would that opinion substantiated? If none in particular, then that would be a classic "just so story", true or not.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

monklet wrote:
Bass wrote: It's my (and our chapter's) opinion that Nafha Ed booths do far more good than harm
That "opinion" may well be correct and I certainly hope so. But, would you happen to have any metrics on that? Just sayin', on what grounds would that opinion substantiated? If none in particular, then that would be a classic "just so story", true or not.
Yes... I collected data on everyone who visited the booths, and have been tracking their development as 'responsible righteous herpers' since... :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though... had I the time (and inclination) I have the means to accrue enough data to run some statistical analysis... Till then, I guess we'll have to rely upon the overwhelmingly positive response we 'boothies' received directly at the shows, and/or possibly (as a start) ask our membership if any of them came to be Nafha members by way of the Ed Booths, or can provide any anecdotal evidence :D jim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

ok, must come back and apologize for starting this hijack. i've been informed that posting replies such as this are meant for the members forum, and not here. sort of a rookie mistake even though i should have known. i'll have to add this to the newb sticky. :D :D :D again, sorry.

for all those reading. the california chapter is doing a great job promoting ethical herping in every way they know how. stands to reason why they have excelled in chapterhood. :beer:

-ben
monklet

Post by monklet »

Bass wrote:I guess we'll have to rely upon the overwhelmingly positive response we 'boothies' received directly at the shows
Understood and fair enough but smiley faces at the booth don't necessarily translate to sound ethics in the field. Please don't get me wrong though. I would guess there is a strong correlation aside from the valid concerns that Muskie M. raised :thumb: :)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You WILL be working the booths this year (why do you think we elected you Reg. VP?... :crazyeyes: :lol: ) so... can decide for yourself... :D jim
monklet

Post by monklet »

hellihooks wrote:You WILL be working the booths this year (why do you think we elected you Reg. VP?... :crazyeyes: :lol: ) so... can decide for yourself... :D jim
Moi? Veep (sort of)? Thanks for telling me. :shock: 8-)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

jonathan

AZ Chapter does educational events as well. As part of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve survey I have made several presentations to City of Scottsdale residents, Preserve stewards, and other interested parties.

We also had a booth set up at the Tucson herp show in the past.

Dave
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

That's awesome Dave. If we ever get the edit button back, I'll add it to the summary!

Would anyone in the Arizona chapter want to add some more specific information about educational events to Arizona's page on www.nafha.org?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I dont think I have editing ability on our chapter page but I can send something to whomever might have access.
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Muskiemagnet, the actions of your local herp society have no bearing on NAFHA, and/or its aims. The purpose of educational booths is exactly what the name would suggest: EDUCATION. These are not locality give-aways. Not one single booth has put more people into willardi habitat. Not one single booth has put more people into lepidus habitat. These booths simply inform the public as to who we are and what we do. You sound a little like an AZ herper, complaining about, "rookies," herping, "your," spots. Please understand that no, "clout," will come from such an attitude. We need all the membership we can get, in order to save the herp-rich areas that you so enjoy.

Even if this was the gateway that you fear, where else would you have these people learn their ethics? I think that this community polices itself rather well, especially when compared to the alternative.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Jonathan,

This year on the Tejon Ranch Survey we discovered the first ever Zonata and Rubber Boas ever recorded on the Tejon Ranch and that part of the mountain range. Something the Ranch was very excited about.

Fundad
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Joshua Jones wrote:Muskiemagnet, the actions of your local herp society have no bearing on NAFHA, and/or its aims. The purpose of educational booths is exactly what the name would suggest: EDUCATION. These are not locality give-aways. Not one single booth has put more people into willardi habitat. Not one single booth has put more people into lepidus habitat. These booths simply inform the public as to who we are and what we do. You sound a little like an AZ herper, complaining about, "rookies," herping, "your," spots. Please understand that no, "clout," will come from such an attitude. We need all the membership we can get, in order to save the herp-rich areas that you so enjoy.

Even if this was the gateway that you fear, where else would you have these people learn their ethics? I think that this community polices itself rather well, especially when compared to the alternative.

josh, i started a response here, but i moved it over to the member's forum. the response is in "tangent thread". anybody wanting to respond to my remarks, please take it there.

-ben
dery

Post by dery »

september: First ntn'l meeting-SNF, IL
dery

Post by dery »

dery wrote:september: First ntn'l meeting-SNF, IL
Sorry october 2012.
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

A portion of the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve, Utah was surveyed by the Rocky Mountain NAFHA Chapter in September 7-9, surveys were also conducted in Gunlock Reservoir State Park, Utah.

"The Red Cliffs Desert Reserve is considered a very successful Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). It is administered by Washington County in coordination with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), Utah Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and State of Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration (SITLA)."
http://www.redcliffsdesertreserve.com/
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Annual "Pickle parties" took place in Utah 2012 for DOR specimen preservation in conjunction with UtahDNR and BYU and UVU universities herpetological collections.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

191 new counties were added to the NAHERP map in 2012!
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Since we got the edit function back, I finally added in the stuff that I had missed. Anyone else have anything more to add from last year?
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Last Year HERP released over 32,000 records in 15 different Data Requests.

Fundad
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Fundad wrote:Last Year HERP released over 32,000 records in 15 different Data Requests.

Fundad
Nice stat!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I think so too Nata, something we ALL should be proud of..

Fundad