IB Archive Access?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

IB Archive Access?

Post by hellihooks »

As I am not currently an IBM, I have no problem with not having access to the IBM Forum, but now it seems that I have no access to ANYTHING I have ever said, on that forum. I think I should be able to reference past discussions. Any way to provide 'limited' archival access Don, for past IBM's? Year by year, perhaps... with just this year blocked? jim
Don Becker

Re: IB Archive Access?

Post by Don Becker »

There is no way to do it.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

that's discouraging. perhaps if and when more people want it... a way can be found.
John Lauerman started a post a while back suggesting every member should have access, towards transparency in Governance (which was soundly rejected) but I think members should have access to past discussions, such as the bylaws re-write(s), towards understanding the rationals behind the decisions reached.
Not to mention there seems something fundamentally wrong with someone being denied access to something they wrote... :roll: jim
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

that's discouraging. perhaps if and when more people want it... a way can be found.
Not unless someone else wants to step up and find/make a way.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm not a computer programer, so I don't understand 'it can't be done' without any additional info. Perhaps I'm just naive, but why couldn't there be a sub-forum for 'archived' content, with open access.

In our 'new paradigm' wherein member approval (75%) is necessary for IBM consideration, I think it would be advantageous for members to review previous discussions, rather than having to 'start from scratch' on every single topic.
That's all. jim
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Jim, the IB discussions should remain private no matter how old they are. The IB board is just a convenient means to discuss topics that otherwise would be done over email or PM. You wouldnt suggest doing this to email or PMs would you?, then its silly to do the same for the IB forum.

If there is something written in there, that you wrote, that you absolutely must have access to, I am sure you can come up with a more realistic solution, such as having a current IB member search for it, or requesting access to go retrieve it.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Actually... I JUST did that (see last post by me) http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=14671
It's ridiculous to waste so much time on a discussion, that's already taken place.
I consider past discussions a 'historical resource' and now that members will decide what the IB talks about (75% consensus), the members should have access to that resource.
It amazes me how little people understand the ramifications of what they 'vote for'. :roll: jim
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I think Jim has a valid concern.

How about making the IB forum accessible to all present - and FORMER - IB members?

This is sort of like the President of the US: Once you have served as President, you will continue to be briefed on certain matters for the rest of your life. You get the idea.

That would seem to be a reasonable and practicable solution.

Lest we get into a needless argument over it, needless because no one ever changes their mind anyway, I suggest we simply put up a poll to get a sense of where people stand on this. If the majority seems in favor, then Brian could put it for an official vote. Done.

Robert
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

It's not practical, unless someone wants to step up an manually manage a list of all former IB members. People keep coming up with all these "simple", "easy", and "practical" solutions that require me to do the programming for them. I volunteered to make a database, I enjoy it. It's fun for me. Implementing all these other rules and solutions for NAFHA is not something I enjoy at all, and I have plenty of other things I would rather be doing.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Don, I perfectly understand you don't want to end up having to do more work. But there need not be any additional work. Once a person has been given access to the IB forum, you simply never go back and take away access. That would actually reduce your workload.

In terms of individuals like Jim who were IB members in the past but no longer have access to the IB forum, I am sure each chapter could quickly compile a list of its former members and pass it on to you. To the extent those people are no longer around or don't want access, we could just forget about those. Yes, you would have to go into the system to add some people back in. But on the bright side, you'd never have to take away access from any IB members again, once it's been given.

Anyway, it was just an idea. Thanks for reconsidering it.

Robert
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

RobertH wrote:I think Jim has a valid concern.

How about making the IB forum accessible to all present - and FORMER - IB members?

This is sort of like the President of the US: Once you have served as President, you will continue to be briefed on certain matters for the rest of your life. You get the idea.

Lest we get into a needless argument over it, needless because no one ever changes their mind anyway, I suggest we simply put up a poll to get a sense of where people stand on this. If the majority seems in favor, then Brian could put it for an official vote. Done.

Robert

If we move forward with something like this, I think former IBMs should only have "viewer" access (no comments) at most. Personally, I think individuals should be responsible for saving relevant discussion for their own future use (if they feel it is important).

-Chris
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I think former IBMs should only have "viewer" access (no comments) at most.
Very good point, I agree. Hadn't thought of that option.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Like I said... Given the incoming model of 'member input---IBM---member vote', it would probably save a hell of a lot of time (and contentious debate) if members could read relevant discussions beforehand. So... this ain't about me or other former IBM's having access... all the members whose opinions we request, towards a 75% approval rating, should have access to past discussions (archives) as a research resource.
I invested a hell of a lot of time and thought into the work I did in the IB, and should be able to refer members to the positions I developed. I too have many other things I'd rather (and need to) do than re-think AND re-type everything I've said for the last 3 or 4 years.. :roll:
Think of it this way... the more I can refer others to what I said in the past... the less I'll have to say now... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
Plus... I don't think it's a bad idea that IBM's know that what they say today, will one day be 'public'. Perhaps they'll behave more 'professionally' than in the past. :roll:
I WAS just trying to help... not start a big contentious issue. :roll: jim
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

If we move forward with something like this, I think former IBMs should only have "viewer" access (no comments) at most. Personally, I think individuals should be responsible for saving relevant discussion for their own future use (if they feel it is important).

-Chris
Agree 100% Copy and paste is easy.

If a former IB member doesn't run or isn't elected then they lose the right view it.

We don't need to give Don another project either. Not to mention we have a ton of other items on the table that are much more important, IMO.

Fundad
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

RobertH wrote:But there need not be any additional work.
People say that to me a lot for some reason.
Once a person has been given access to the IB forum, you simply never go back and take away access. That would actually reduce your workload.
Only, the user list is generated from the people who are currently flagged as IB members on NAFHA.org, and I can't just leave all past members flagged as part of the IB, because that same flag is used for voting purposes. So yes, it would take more work on my part to change things around.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

OK, I see, well, I guess then the issue is closed and we just move on.

At least it didn't take 167 posts and 14 days of argument to get there. :lol:

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Fundad wrote:
, I think individuals should be responsible for saving relevant discussion for their own future use (if they feel it is important).
-Chris
Agree 100% Copy and paste is easy.

If a former IB member doesn't run or isn't elected then they lose the right view it.
Fundad
Since this has obviously 'been decided'... I suggest you make this ABUNDANTLY CLEAR to all incoming IBM's. :roll: jim
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Thanks for the suggestion Mr Bass.

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You're welcome. :thumb: :lol: :lol: jim
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Is there a specific thread you want access to? If so, I can let the IB know and see about getting you a copy of it.

-Chris
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Thx Chris
This was the topic I was refering to viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8369&hilit=promoting+nafha but... only IBM's can read it... so not even worth mentioning on the members only forum. NOW that (ostensibly) members will be discussing topics before they make it to the IBM forum.. I thought some members might want to read previous discussions.
I directed the new IBM's in the conversation to the topic... so they (at least) can read it, if they want.
I remember what I said... I was actually more interested in what others had to say on the topic...so as not to misrepresent or mischaracterize anyone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1Obrqp ... page#t=11s
:lol: :lol: jim
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

NOW that (ostensibly) members will be discussing topics before they make it to the IBM forum..
:?: :?:

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Fundad wrote:
NOW that (ostensibly) members will be discussing topics before they make it to the IBM forum..
:?: :?:

Fundad
Here is how I will accomplish this.
1. All official items will have a poll that is not a real vote. This poll will be used during the conversation period, members will be allowed to change their vote during the discussion period. We will continue to iron it out until we reach our 75% or greater acceptance.

I took this to mean that there would be a general membership 'discussion period' before anything goes to the IB. jim
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

No that is not accurate....

This is in reference to International Board Items, which are handled before being presented to the membership.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

OMG/WTF :?
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

LOL This is better than a comedy club.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »