Question about Data Records and Google Earth pegs/markers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fieldnotes

Question about Data Records and Google Earth pegs/markers

Post by Fieldnotes »

One of my pegs showing on Google Earth is off.

Is there a way to move the peg to its correct location by actually moving the peg using Google Earth? Or must I update the text information in the Latitude and Longitude boxes in order to move the peg?
spinifer

Re: Question about Data Records and Google Earth pegs/marker

Post by spinifer »

Click on the wrench icon to the upper right of the latitude box in Edit Record. The Map will pop up, double click to over the correct spot to replace the peg.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

yeah, I've noticed that as the google map feature is updated, the gps markers move a little. I've quit trying to keep them current...I think anyone getting the data will realize that the turtles were in the water, not up on the hillside, especially if they look at the voucher photo... :lol:
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Brian Hubbs wrote:yeah, I've noticed that as the google map feature is updated, the gps markers move a little. I've quit trying to keep them current...I think anyone getting the data will realize that the turtles were in the water, not up on the hillside, especially if they look at the voucher photo... :lol:
hmmm...if that is the case then the new map layer must be in a different Datum than the coordinates are in. This usually only causes a shift by a few hundred feet at the most, which is not that big of a deal.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Awesome! that works thanks. I had tried clicking the peg first and then moving it to the correct spot only to have it shoot back to where i orginally picked it up at. Working now, I'll be able to do a lot of improvements including adding a bunch of habitat.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Mine moves less than a few hundred feet, more like 50 feet max, but it's close enough and I'm not going to change 6,600+ records to make it perfect...
chrish

Post by chrish »

In Google Earth itself, you can right click on the "peg" or its reference in the sidebar and choose Properties. Once you do this, you can either drag the marker to where you want it or enter the new coordinates.

But it would be better to fix it in the database so your data are correct in there.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

It will only be correct until a new google map pic is available...