Question about uploading records that have NO voucher photo

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fieldnotes

Question about uploading records that have NO voucher photo

Post by Fieldnotes »

In the past, there was controversy whether to upload records that have NO voucher photo.

My question is…

Should I be uploading my records to the data base that have NO VOUCHER PHOTO? Perhaps 85% of my field notes have no voucher images. That would be somewhere around 2000 records of Western Toad, Fence Lizard, Side-blotched Lizards, Gopher Snakes, and more species uploaded that won't have vouchers.

Or, should I just upload the 500 or so records I DO HAVE Voucher images for?
Tamara D. McConnell

Re: Question about uploading records that have NO voucher ph

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I do not enter records without photos.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

It's up to you Will. I think you know what you were looking at, and as long as the gps is there it is useful for mapping. I limit my un-vouchered records to significant animals, like kings, milks, boas and certain turtles, but you can do whatever you want until the rule gets changed. Many of my un-vouchered records are just place holders on my map until I can get back there and take a pic...I only have 84 un-vouchered records, and they do not count for contests or the all-time leader list.

The only time those become a problem is when they are entered by someone who is not well acquainted with identification techniques. There is a DOR database online that is riddled with mis-identifications...like zonata from Death Valley...we don't need that kind of crap in our database and should probably require photo vouchers pretty soon to avoid it. Even with vouchers i have seen some amazing mis-identifications in our database...
Tamara D. McConnell

One of the reasons I always include a photo is so that when I have misidentified an animal, somebody can tell me. More experienced herpers may not need this help, but I sometimes do, and I appreciate it when folks take the time to help me correct errors.
dery

Post by dery »

Okay everyone, audio is a voucher too, and possibly the tag icon for those which were recorded in some other way.(I think thats the icon's meaning). Myself and many others just use photos because it's what we understand.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

The tag icon is for specimens deposited in museums.
Tamara D. McConnell

audio is a voucher too
Good point, Sam. Audio vouchers convey every bit as much legitimacy as photo vouchers.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:
audio is a voucher too
Good point, Sam. Audio vouchers convey every bit as much legitimacy as photo vouchers.
Audio vouchers of DOR's are somewhat less useful. :lol:

Actually, audio vouchers of anurans (I can't imagine any other kind of useful audio voucher?) are probably more valuable than a photo. They can be identified to species with certainty, the number of individuals is represented to some degree, and it says something about the population (they are breeding).

I like them because I can collect them legally without hopping a fence and tresspassing!
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

chrish wrote:(I can't imagine any other kind of useful audio voucher?)
Come on Chris, you can't ID a rattlesnake by the pitch of its rattle? or a bullsnake by its hissing? or a gecko by its chirp? :lol:

If you only have one type of rattlesnake in the area, you could use it as a voucher if you can't see the snake. That's the only thing I can think of.

Josh
dery

Post by dery »

herpseeker1978 wrote:
chrish wrote:(I can't imagine any other kind of useful audio voucher?)
Come on Chris, you can't ID a rattlesnake by the pitch of its rattle? or a bullsnake by its hissing? or a gecko by its chirp? :lol:

If you only have one type of rattlesnake in the area, you could use it as a voucher if you can't see the snake. That's the only thing I can think of.

Josh
Ha, at least they're more useful than a turtle, snakes that are quiet, a sallie, dor, etc. As mentioned before they can be equally useful in the right circumstances. :roll:
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

A recent data request asked for all data including voucherless on a very common species. We strive to get vouchers, but unvouchered records are not worthless when good notes are entered and the other data is filled in.