NAFHA 2014 National Meeting Aug 29-Sept 1 2014 Rodeo NM

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TimCO

NAFHA 2014 National Meeting Aug 29-Sept 1 2014 Rodeo NM

Post by TimCO »

The 2014 NAFHA National Meeting will be held in Rodeo New Mexico from Aug 29th to Sept 1, 2014. One of the most celebrated locales in North American herpetology, the Chiricahua Mountains and surrounding deserts have an amazing abundance and diversity of reptile and amphibian life. The Chiricahua Desert Museum has graciously agreed to host NAFHA at its meeting facilities in Rodeo, offered free admission to the splendid museum exhibits, and will facilitate a BBQ and social for us. Camping will be available near Portal, Arizona just a few miles down the road, lodging will be available in Rodeo and Portal.

http://www.chiricahuadesertmuseum.com
Lizardman1988

Re: NAFHA 2014 National Meeting Aug 29-Sept 1 2014 Rodeo NM

Post by Lizardman1988 »

There are so many untapped areas in the Rocky Mountain Chapter. I'm sure it will be a great trip, but I'm disappointed that we can't focus our efforts on somewhere where the data gathered would be more beneficial.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Ryan, we have several chapter trips to areas where there is a paucity of data, but all are extremely remote and not suitable for hosting a national event. You are welcome to join us on any event.
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Sounds great!!
Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

There are several I've wanted to attend, but it is hard for me to make them from out here in Kansas. I will be trying to make the COPARC meeting, however.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

This looks like an AZ trip disguised as a NM trip?
justinm

Post by justinm »

spinifer wrote:This looks like an AZ trip disguised as a NM trip?
What's the difference? A few grains of sand...

I'm going to try to make this one for sure. Looks like I'm moving to Texas in 2014 so I'll be closer anyway.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Very, very cool. There in little chance that I'll be in the States at that time next year, but if I am I will do everything possible to make it.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Jonathan, it'd be nice to meet you if you could make it. I've herped with a few of the Rocky Mtn crew and I know Tim is great to herp with. I can understand why they would want to herp in or near Rodeo. The diversity is high and there will be many lifers for their chapter members. I would like to see some interesting parts of the Rocky Mountain states, but this event should be very well attended and have lots of new folks to meet. August 29th is kind of late in the monsoon season, but the reptile babies should be out. It probably won't be really good for amphibians though, if the rains have died off. The lizard diversity is fantastic.

**Note** Make sure you have some gas in the car when you arrive. Last summer Rodeo didn't have any working gas stations. You could call the Chiricahua Desert Museum in advance to check on things.

Cheers...TC
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I will legitimately try to make it to this.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Have "we" procured a research / scientific collecting permit for the event and its attendees? It would be nice to save the out-of-staters some $$ for licenses, plus it helps legitimize NAFHA IMO. We did this for the snake road meeting, and every person / group had a copy of the permit on them while herping.

I can help with this if needed.

-Chris
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS!

I just received our Scientific Collecting Permit for the event. It is pretty extensive. I will post the text of it in another post.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Well I am unable to cut and paste so I will give a synopsis of the permit, and its requirements.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You must be with one of the named agents (collectors) on the permit to be exempt from needing a Hunting Fishing license. There are a total of 13 named agents plus myself.

The SCP is only valid from Aug 28 - Sept 2 in Cochise County south of Interstate 10 from (and including) the Sulphur Springs Valley east to the New Mexico state line.

The SCP authorizes us to capture, hold for up to 2 hours, photograph and release at site of capture unlimited numbers of all open season (non-protected) herps. The SCP also allows for 1 hour hold for up to 4 lepidus, 1 pricei, 1 Milk snake, 2 Gila Monsters, and 10 Ornate Box Turtles.

No lepidus or pricei may be pursued or captured from the talus of that well known place.

We cannot capture massasaugas, unless in imminent peril from road death. But then all we can do is move them off the road ONLY. We can only photograph them in situ.

No capturing Yarrows Spiny Lizards or Striped Plateau Lizards along Cave Creek above the Southwest Research Station or along Turkey Creek - due to an on going ecological study.

We are authorized to collect DOR open season and closed season herps found dead (federally protected species requires a Federal permit). DOR's will be deposited into the collection at U of A.

We cant all be in one area simultaneously. We must "disperse our collection activities for all species to avoid negatively impacting wild populations."

The maximum number of animals that may be collected under the permit will apply to the aggregate of all collectors (permittee and agents).

Destructive collecting techniques are not authorized.

Thats it in a nutshell.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Strong work Dave. This permit will certainly add to the educational component of the trip. The NM permit is in process right now.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Awesome! Congrats on getting the permit.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

NAFHA National Meeting Itinerary

August 29-Sept 1 2014 Rodeo NM

Friday Aug 29 5PM

Meet at Sunny Flats Campground for pre road cruising social
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado ... 8&actid=70

Friday evening - Road cruising

Saturday Aug 30 10AM

Meet at Chiricahua Desert Museum Conference Center, 1 mile north of the Museum.
Meeting announcements

Afternoon and evening herping

Sunday Aug 31 2PM

Meet at Chiricahua Desert Museum Conference Center, 1 mile north of the Museum.
Guest speaker and announcments

Afternoon and evening herping

Monday, September 1 2PM

Meet at Chiricahua Desert Museum for tour and BBQ social. Free admission to the museum!
http://www.chiricahuadesertmuseum.com/

Evening herping
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Everyone attending this event must sign a NAFHA liability waiver. Anyone who does not sign the waiver can NOT participate in the NAFHA event, this includes parents signing for minors.

If anyone is taking a minor that you are not the legal guardian of, please contact me for special instructions.

Thank You
Brian Hinds
International Coordinator