Its official - HERP is now a Nonprofit

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

spinifer

Its official - HERP is now a Nonprofit

Post by spinifer »

As most of you know, this has been in the works for a while now. A proposal was presented to the NAFHA membership in June to make HERP an unincorporated nonprofit association. This proposal passed by a vote of 74 to 4.

Several of us have been working behind the scenes to file the paperwork and prepare for the transition. Special thanks to Fundad, Brian Hubbs, Ricrabt, Chrish, Owen, Mike VanValen, Steve Bledsoe, roberth, and psyon for their time and efforts.

So what changes can you expect over the next few months? Well, not much as it relates to the database. The purpose of becoming a nonprofit was to protect the longevity of the database. Data will remain private and the property of the data contributor.

Within the next few days an official announcement will be sent out via email to all Naherp.com account holders along with a call for membership.

Creating an account and submitting data to the database will remain FREE. However, if you would like to serve on the board and help manage the HERP organization as a member, you must pay annual dues of $25. If you have a paypal account, you can send dues to the email: paypal {at} naherp.com and include your contact name and email in the notes. If you do not have a paypal account you can pay via credit card via a link set up on Naherp.com. This link will be available within the next few days. You must have a minimum of 50 records to qualify for membership. Following payment you will receive further instructions for membership.

We will have an open enrollment period to allow everyone interested in membership to sign up. Discussions will begin sometime in January. The first order of business of the board of members will be to elect officers and to finalize the language of the bylaws.

Since HERP is now separate from NAFHA we will be moving away from using these forums as a primary means of communication for HERP related issues. However, for the time being, please continue to post HERP questions here.

We look forward to working together to continue the success of HERP.

Nate,
HERP Executive Director, pro tempore
kyle loucks

Re: Its official - HERP is now a Nonprofit

Post by kyle loucks »

Sound great Nate! Good work everyone!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

:thumb: we are on our way.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I'm happy about this change.

However regarding
Since HERP is now separate from NAFHA we will be moving away from using these forums as a primary means of communication for HERP related issues.
Any thoughts on this? How much communication are we expecting, and of what kind? What kind of divisions in communication will there be between HERP paying members and free users, if any? Would an email list serv suffice? I just had this scenario pop into my head where HERP develops a forum to facilitate communication between HERP members. :crazyeyes:
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

NAFHA can continue to discuss and promote the database here among its members. But discussion by the paying members of HERP will not be here. Questions by the general public are encouraged to use the "contact" form on the database (links to this forum are not longer present). We may set up a public question and answer board directly on the the database website, but that has not been decided. Direct communication to data contributors will be via email, as it is now when someone requests your data.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thanks for the quick response
links to this forum are not longer present
I found a link to the forum from the DB in just a few mouse clicks.

Go to the "About NAFHA" page from the DB and it is in there as a link, as well as the contact form at the bottom.

http://www.naherp.com/about.php

Perhaps that should be removed too. :)
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

The process is still on-going.

That paragraph was left there because we didnt want to loose that information. It needs to be copied to an NAFHA page, and then it be rewritten to reflect HERP only.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Okay. i just thought somebody would want to take down the link.

Easy for me to call out work that needs to be done when I can't do it myself.

I'll be quiet now. There will always be dust in the air when things get moved.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Great Work Nate and Mike..

And to everyone involved in this project.

"Thank You"
Fundad
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Now is the time to join to have a say in the way things are going to be set up. We will be holding elections soon!!
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Here is the paypal page. A link on the Website will be posted shortly.

http://www.naherp.com/paypal.php
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

spinifer wrote:Here is the paypal page. A link on the Website will be posted shortly.

http://www.naherp.com/paypal.php

Done. Good move. :thumb:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Done. This is great!
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

I received the email regarding NAHERP . If you are interested in joining now is the time. I would imagine elections will be held sometime in the middle of January. This should give everyone a chance to join...
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Someone asked me today how to join NAFHA. Typically, I would send them to the FAQ, which directs them to sign up with HERP. Now that HERP is separate from NAFHA, what would be the easiest way for him to join up? Should I still direct him to HERP? I'd love to get more local people involved.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:Someone asked me today how to join NAFHA. Typically, I would send them to the FAQ, which directs them to sign up with HERP. Now that HERP is separate from NAFHA, what would be the easiest way for him to join up? Should I still direct him to HERP? I'd love to get more local people involved.
We are in limbo at the moment as far as that is concerned. I'd tell him to sit tight for the time being, but registering at naherp wouldn't hurt. :thumb:
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:Someone asked me today how to join NAFHA. Typically, I would send them to the FAQ, which directs them to sign up with HERP. Now that HERP is separate from NAFHA, what would be the easiest way for him to join up? Should I still direct him to HERP? I'd love to get more local people involved.
For NAFHA you should tell him to join the forum or the facebook pages. There is nothing wrong with continuing to direct people to HERP.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Thanks to all of you who took the lead to make this happen. Awesome, awesome work!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Thanks, Mike and Nate...I'll tell him.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I just sent my payment, but i think a post should be put on every forum that includes the paypal link...just for the people who don't read every e-mail they get (which is most people). We really need to blitz everyone with this, and keep blitzing them until we have enough people signed up. If you want, I can make some posts in the various forums that will get their attention. ;)
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Brian, if you feel like it go for it. I already posted to the NE Chapter, and the NAFHA facebook page. Please make sure it is clear that having an account remains free for everyone and dues/donations are optional.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I've put it in 5 forums so far from the top, including the main FHF forum. Take a look and see if you think I need to say anything else. I'm trying to keep it simple and to the point.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Done. Thank you!