Southern Montana advice

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NACairns

Southern Montana advice

Post by NACairns »

I'm headed down to the Billings area from Saskatchewan Canada for a weekend of photography and was hoping that people may have some advice for searching that area. We have most of the same species in Saskatchewan so pale milks (Lampropeltis multistrata) and sagebrush lizards (Sceloporus graciosus) would be considered the targets. That said, I'm always happy to see just about anything. I realize the sensitivity of giving out sites (having been burnt by people in the past) but if anyone is willing to share localities via pm or email ([email protected]) that would be great and remain confidential otherwise all advise is welcome. I would normally enjoy trying to hunt down good habitat but time is going to be tight this weekend. I want to reiterate that this just for photography and I will hopefully have some decent shots to post after the trip.
Thanks in advance,
Best,
Nick
Kyle from Carolina

Re: Southern Montana advice

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

I've never been down there but I've considered making the same trip from Alberta. Hopefully you get some responses. Did you have a look at the state website? They have some observation summary data about halfway down the page. Seem like a good place to start:
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_ARADB19050.aspx
NACairns

Re: Southern Montana advice

Post by NACairns »

Hi Kyle,
Yep I have checked out the state field guide, very useful dot localities but I can always use a bit more information. I also like to post these requests to see if anyone is already herping/might want company and to avoid stepping on researchers toes. I'll let you know how the trip goes.
Best,
Nick