Accuracy Field on NAHERP

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Accuracy Field on NAHERP

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I noticed the addition of an accuracy field in NAHERP, cool. When I use the H.E.R.P. app on my phone, it shows an accuracy when the GPS is acquiring the coordinates, but I don't think this information is currently logged, which means to use the accuracy field after syncing my observations, I would have had to write down the information separately (and often I log incidental finds when all I have on me is my phone). Is there an update to the apps forthcoming to account for this?

(If so, could it also record the elevation, which similarly shows up on the display but doesn't sync to NAHERP?)
Don Becker

Re: Accuracy Field on NAHERP

Post by Don Becker »

Not sure why I didn't have it saving altitude from the mobile app already, but that's in the script now. HERP Mobile doesn't send accuracy to the server though, you will need to update to Mobile Mapper for that to work. That will get you another nice features of saving recently used species to make it faster.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Don Becker wrote:Not sure why I didn't have it saving altitude from the mobile app already, but that's in the script now. HERP Mobile doesn't send accuracy to the server though, you will need to update to Mobile Mapper for that to work. That will get you another nice features of saving recently used species to make it faster.
I might be confusing the various apps and sites--is Mobile Mapper compatible with NAHERP, or is it only/primarily for HerpMapper?

Thanks for all your hard work--I will look for the updated HERP Mobile version. :thumb:
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

chris_mcmartin wrote:I might be confusing the various apps and sites--is Mobile Mapper compatible with NAHERP, or is it only/primarily for HerpMapper?
When I was making changes to HERP Mobile to use with Mobile Mapper, I just decided to make a single app that works for both sites, and many others. MobileMapper can submit data to NAHERP, HerpMapper, miherpatlas.org, paherpsurvey.org, and any other site that wants to use it really. I'm even working with a friend in Missouri who wants to use it for for Mussel Surveys.

You can find instructions for setting up MobileMapper with NAHERP at
http://www.naherp.com/app.php
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Don Becker wrote:You can find instructions for setting up MobileMapper with NAHERP at
http://www.naherp.com/app.php
Muchas gracias. Correction to previous: Instead of updating my HERP Mobile app, in light of this new information I will transition to Mobile Mapper. 8-)

Now, if you made it able to upload to iNaturalist Herps of Texas, that'd be MONEY. (They have their own app, but I generally support NAHERP first, then manually transfer observations into HOT, and I don't want to try to run two separate apps in the field!).