More Exciting News
The California Chapter is hosting the NAFHA National Event Friday April 10th thru Sunday April 12th.
The California Board is excited to announce it has chosen The Scared Oaks Campground http://theoaksatsacredrocks.com/
in Eastern San Diego County as the location of the event.
The campground has a couple large tent areas with shade, with as many as 40 tents or so in each area,
there are also bunk cabins available for rent, as well as trailer for those that would rather not stay in a tent.
We can also roam outside the campground on their property to look for herps.
We will be working on the details of number of activities, the California Board Members have some
great ideas for the event so stay tuned, and we have invited awesome guests as well to talk with us
from a number of agencies.
Eastern SD County is under represented with data, hopefully this event will help change that a little. There is a large number of habitat types in the area giving us a large number of options to deal with most conditions we might encounter.
It will be a really great event.
We have put together some rules and regulations for the event that will be strictly enforced to make sure everyone has a great time, and NAFHA maintains its goals and reputation.
The rules are:
1. Everyone attending must check-in, sign a Liability Waiver, and agree to comply with all NAFHA, Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations. Minors must have a Liability Waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. Any minor attending that is not accompanied by a parent must be pre-approved by Brian Hinds or Matthew Gruen.
2. Everyone age 16 and older will be required to show a fishing license that covers the time frame of the event. Licenses can be purchased online here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/
3. There will be NO COLLECTING of live herps at any time during the event. No living herps are to be placed in bags or containers at any time, for any reason!
4. No herps are to be held overnight or possessed at any time. This includes any finds that occur before, during, or immediately after the event. We understand that this has been allowed previously, but it will NOT be allowed for our Meeting in California.
5. Obvious board arrays (board lines), pit traps, or other study sites discovered in the County are not to be disturbed at any time. Junk piles and the like are perfectly OK to search unless otherwise defined at the time of the event.
6. All rocks, logs, and boards that are turned to look under, must be replaced exactly to their original position.
7. No illegal drugs of any kind are to be brought to the event.
8. Other Rules may be added at a later time, or upon check-in.
Any participant that violates any of the above Rules will be asked to leave immediately, and may be put up for suspension from NAFHA, and possibly reported to CDFW officers. We have informed the CDFW of our Meeting dates and location.
Exceptions from the above Rules:
1. Non-native herps such as bullfrogs, Moorish wall geckos, red-eared sliders, etc., found during the event can be collected or possessed live or dead, when otherwise legal to do so.
2. DOR's of non-protected species may be collected/possessed if found outside of protected habitat.
3. Board lines and other study sites set-up by a NAFHA Member may be searched if approval is given beforehand.
Any questions during the event should be directed to one of the six California Chapter Board Members, or to another CA Chapter member that has been selected by the Board to help with the event.
The CA Chapter Board Members recognize that these Rules have not been in place at previous National Meetings, and that they may discourage some people from attending. However, our Chapter has spent 8 years building deep relationships with various agencies and groups, and we are not going to risk those relationships for any reason. We hope everyone attending shares our same goal of building strong relationships in support of the conservation our herps need and deserve.
Unfortunately, a tiny handful of people at previous NAFHA National events have caused some serious problems for NAFHA. For the 2015 Meeting, we will do our best to ensure a good time will be had by all, while herping legally and ethically in the eyes of anyone watching.
We will be inviting a guest speaker from the USGS, and biologists from the CDFW, AZDFG, and NDOW. The Board is working on additional cool activities open to all participants, such as a possible NAFHA BioBlitz one of the days, Learn how to use GPS tools, Campfire story telling, and much more. We have some exciting ideas in the works, so it should be a highly worthwhile event!
The California Chapter Board
Brian Hinds -President
Lawrence Erickson- Conservation Officer
John Lauermann- International Board member
Owen Holt-Vice President
Matthew Gruen- Secretary
Jeff Nordland- Education Specialist
Currently Jeff Nordland is in charge of logistics, if anyone needs any guidance on the area.
PS.Please stay tuned for more info included recommended safety equipment, logistics, and much more.