Flagging Sightings....revisited

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Flagging Sightings....revisited

Post by chrish »

What ever happened to the idea of flagging entries in the database?

I think "we" should be able to flag questionable sightings as:

- taxon identity questions
- missing important data (species, county, etc)

We could have two colored flags or more if people want more flag classes. They could be represented by a question mark icon next to the record (like the voucher symbol we currently have).

I don't know whether "we" mandate changes in those sightings, but having them flagged allows
1. the user to see their might be a problem.
2. end users of our data to see that a sighting has "issues".

Lastly, I don't know who "we" is. Is it a set of approved reviewers or is it open to anyone?

Thoughts?

Chris
spinifer

Re: Flagging Sightings....revisited

Post by spinifer »

What ever happened to the idea of flagging entries in the database?
Jonathan went through at put a comment on all the records with issues. Maybe Don can run the same script he ran for Jonathan as we can see how many those actually got corrected?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I think people thought the flagging may be abused against people who dislike each other.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Jonathan went through at put a comment on all the records with issues.
He only went through those that have obvious issues, like no species or no county... There is no way he could have went through ALL records.. :shock: :shock: That would be a monster job, that would take months.

Fundad
chrish

Post by chrish »

psyon wrote:I think people thought the flagging may be abused against people who dislike each other.
I think I was the one who came up with that concern. I think we could try it and see. I doubt there are that many idiots using the database.....yet?
Maybe a user has to click a "Submit for flagging" box with a "Wrong Taxon" or "Missing Data" option and then you get to flag them?

The only real workaround would be to give certain users "reviewer" status and somehow give their login special privilege. I don't know if that sort of thing is possible?

There is also the issue of how to "unflag" an entry as well. That's more complicated.

As for how to find them, I don't think a script would work identify taxonomic problems (wrong ID issues). I think it is simply going to be trial and error searching. I would be happy to screen entries from my area of the country. Of course, those in SoCal would have a lot more work to do.

Chris