Short Film about Crotalid Research

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bentley7_7

Short Film about Crotalid Research

Post by bentley7_7 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUR-8oyL6W8

My name is Alex Bentley and I am an aspiring herpetologist. I’ve been borderline obsessed with herps all my life, so this past summer was a dream come true! I had the wonderful privilege of working in Francis Marion National Forest with Mike Martin, investigating the spacial ecology of Crotalus adamanteus. On top of tracking Diamondbacks I also spent a good deal of time gathering venom samples from other native Crotalids. The venom collection was part of a project my professor, Dr. Charles Smith, and I are working on to analyze venom variation in Southeastern Pitvipers.
It was a truly life changing summer for me, not just because of my involvement with herps, but also due to so many other experiences (living in a cabin by myself, having many of my belongings stollen, working through weeks straight of 100+ temps, and more). Although the film is centered around our research, I also sought to convey some of the realizations I came to about life in general.
So let me know what y’all think, and I hope you enjoy!

PS. here are some pics from the summer

ImageT. sirtalis-B&W by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageA. piscivorus in situ by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageCanebrake in habitat by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageSeminatrix pygaea by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageFeisty A. Piscavorus by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageNewborn Thamnophis sauritus by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageChief anesthesia by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageBig Boy!! by Alex Bentley, on Flickr

ImageFarancia abacura by Alex Bentley, on Flickr
umop apisdn

Re: Short Film about Crotalid Research

Post by umop apisdn »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKs4TMvm9bU
You also made an awesome promo, don't forget that!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Okay, I admit it….. As a curmudgeon who has grown too intolerant of herp youtubes, I kept passing this post up.
I wrongly expected just another herp video that typically was not about herps, but, instead are about “ME”; here’s ME catching a lizard; here’s ME tailing a rattler; here’s ME talking to the camera incessantly; here’s ME trying to be Steve Erwin………

Instead of all that, Alex, this is a class act video on many levels, capturing:
... The actual herp study has much significance to modern time’s herp management.
... The capture of the less-than-glamorous part of field work.
... The personal opportunity and execution of dedicating your summer to the study.
... The video and still footage of the animals, making it all about them, with a tasteful glimpse of the humans involved.
... The editing and mixing in such a professional way.
... etc.

In short, great post and video; I would recommend other forum viewers not pass this one up as I almost did.

Good luck on future endeavors.
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Like Bill above, I also very rarely watch any videos posted. I happened to click on this one and was pleasantly surprised. It was very well done and a joy to watch. Thanks for taking the time, both the filming/editing, and the actual research.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Like those above, I never watch fishing or herping videos, but I was intrigued by the comments on this thread.

You, Sir, should be very proud of this one. Bravo!

I think maybe you're in the wrong profession. You should be making documentary films! :thumb:
simus343

Post by simus343 »

What everyone else has said Alex. Not much of a video guy, but that was great. Also some great shots you took there. I remember hearing something from Dr. Means about snake venom composition changing as they age, because of different primary prey species. There's a lot of work out there with venom types and identification for sure, and I hope you and your mentor's work help find beneficial uses for C. adamanteus venom besides just antivenin. They, and all venomous snakes, need everything they can get working in favor of protecting them.

Something to consider with rattlesnake research, look for 2-4 footers in the trees if you find a tree with a decent slant.. Some telemetry studies with Auburn University have found timber rattlers to be in the trees when they are growing at an angle or knocked over. When I first heard about this, then read the publication a few weeks later, I was astounded. It wasn't just a few freaks either, so far it seems to be more and more common. Trying to imagine how many, if any, C. adamanteus I've walked under in steephead ravines with truly massive Quercus virginiana.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Hi Alex,

I really enjoyed your movie about the fieldwork you have done! It is inspiring to see your passion and commitment for reptile conservation. These projects sound really interesting. Can we expect a publication about the venom variation any time soon?

I am a microbiologist and totally ignorant when it comes to telemetry studies of herps, so please forgive me the naive question. The catching and implatation of the transmitter seems to be quite stressful for the animal. Do you know about any studies that check for a change of behavior of such treated animals (maybe in captivity)?

Best,
Matthias
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Unfortunately, Alex is out of the country for a semester abroad, and of course YouTube has taken down the video, at least here in the US. Trying to get in touch with him so he can get this rectified.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Too bad, here in Switzerland I can still see the video.

Best,
Matthias
DarwinsBulldog

Post by DarwinsBulldog »

I hope this video issue is rectified. I would really like to see it.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I was looking forward to watching it too. YouTube will sometimes block videos in certain countries based on music content. I'll try and watch it when I'm overseas next week.
bentley7_7

Post by bentley7_7 »

hello all,

I'd first like to express my sincerest apologies for the current unavailability of about Life. on Youtube. We are actively working to resolve this issue and hope to have the video back up in the US asap. To those of you who were able to watch the video, thank you so much for doing so and for your support and kind words, it's always nice to receive feedback! Once again, I'm sorry the video is not currently available, but I will let y'all know as soon as it is back up.

P.s. if you're interested in about Life. check out the promo for the film
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I'm in Japan and just watched your video. Great job. As a maker of short amateur herp videos, I realize how much time it takes to both capture and edit these clips together. So much time goes into it. When done right, all of the transitions, slow mos, etc flow together and go unnoticed by the viewer. Music always seems to tie things together, but picking the right music isn't always easy. I'm assuming its one of the songs used that's blocking your video in the USA. Hopefully you can make the changes necessary for everyone to enjoy your work.

Lou