YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes: 45

Steve Bledsoe

POLL - Proposed Changes to Database and Taxon List

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

This is an open poll to accept or reject proposed specific changes to the H.E.R.P. Database and Taxon List. Pursuant to Article VI of the NAFHA Bylaws, this poll will be open for 14 days.

What is Proposed:
Add new species Contia longicaudae - Forest Sharp-tailed Snake

Relevant document:
Feldman, Chris R. & Richard F. Hoyer. A new species of snake in the genus Contia (Squamata: Colubridae) from California and Oregon. Copeia. 2010(2): pp. 254-267.
http://www.cnah.org/pdf_files/1522.pdf

Summary:
Morphological, genetic, and habitat use differences support the split of Contia tenuis into two species:
Contia tenuis - Sharp-tailed Snake
Contia longicaudae - Forest Sharp-tailed Snake

Benefit to Database:
Allow accurate reflection of modern research distinguishing two lineages of Contia that can be distinguished from each other in field.

Potential drawback:
Some mis-identifications will happen. It is possible some records currently identified as Contia tenuis are actually Contia longicaudae and may not be properly updated. Several records, however, already note the proper lineage in the notes.
KingCam

Re: POLL - Proposed Changes to Database and Taxon List

Post by KingCam »

I feel a little bit silly for not being able to figure out how to vote on this poll.... can someone enlighten me? When I click the little black button next to one of the options nothing happens.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Are you registered as a chapter member? you'll need to be, to vote. Register with Nafha, Pm your chapter pres to get added. jim
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

hellihooks wrote:Are you registered as a chapter member? you'll need to be, to vote. Register with Nafha, Pm your chapter pres to get added. jim
Well I thought I was registered. I have my FHF username added to my NAHerp profile. I show up on the midwest score board.

Who is the Midwest president?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

KC... I'd like to help more, but late to work. 2 week poll... I'm sure you'll get it worked out... :thumb: jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

KC,
What happened when you made your voting choice and clicked SUBMIT?
You should have been taken to a new page that said that your vote was received, then returned to the poll page.
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:KC,
What happened when you made your voting choice and clicked SUBMIT?
You should have been taken to a new page that said that your vote was received, then returned to the poll page.
I don't even see a submit button or a place to select my choice. I have a feeling I'm not considered an official member :x I also can't access the new "members only" forum.

The "button" I was referring to in my first post was not actually a button, it was the black bar next to "Yes" and "No." Before anyone else had voted they were round and looked like a button. :oops:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

If you're properly registered, you would be able to vote and have access to the Members Only Forum. It sounds like something is not quite right somewhere.

I suggest that you send a PM to psyon and ask him to look into your registration and profile. Be sure to give him the name you registered with at naherp.com.
Jackson Shedd

Post by Jackson Shedd »

Mis-ID's or not, C. longicaudae needs to be an option. It is a valid taxon of California's herp diversity.

Some people are still entering California populations of Phrynosoma blainvillii as P. coronatum. As taxonomy changes it's simply a difficult thing to get everyone on the same page.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Jackson Shedd wrote:Mis-ID's or not, C. longicaudae needs to be an option. It is a valid taxon of California's herp diversity.

Some people are still entering California populations of Phrynosoma blainvillii as P. coronatum. As taxonomy changes it's simply a difficult thing to get everyone on the same page.
Which is probably the best argument we could muster to support entering photo vouchers and accurate location data on every record!
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

i'm not quite sure why we're even voting on this. i thought we had already voted to follow the ssar list and since they do in fact include C. longicaudae (http://www.ssarherps.org/pages/comm_nam ... a_main.php) it seems to me it should be added to our database without question.
josh
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Can't vote, put me in for a yes vote.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

geckoguy747 wrote:i'm not quite sure why we're even voting on this. i thought we had already voted to follow the ssar list and since they do in fact include C. longicaudae (http://www.ssarherps.org/pages/comm_nam ... a_main.php) it seems to me it should be added to our database without question.
josh
I don't think there was ever a hard decision made to unconditionally follow the SSAR list. We voted to use SSAR as the foundation of the update we did to our taxon list a couple of years ago.

If we choose to follow the SSAR list to the letter, then we will be closing the door on the addition of some new species that SSAR doesn't yet recognize, or may not ever recognize, and we would be bound to accept some of the changes SSAR has adopted that the majority of our group may not be in agreement with.

The fact still remains that our bylaws provide a way for us to make changes to the database through a vote. IMO, this is probably the best course of action from this point forward for implementing changes.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Now that its 20 to nothing.. Lets vote to put Z sub species back.. :mrgreen:

Fundad
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

i see, thanks for clearing that up!
MAbernathy

Post by MAbernathy »

Vote...done, but I have a question.

When I first became involved a few years back, I asked why the Cajun Chorus Frog (Pseudacris fouquettei) was not on the database list, and the response was that it was not recognized because it was not on the SSAR list and once the new SSAR list was put out, assuming it was on there, it would be added to the database.

The article on P. fouquettei is listed here (http://www.cnah.org/pdf_files/891.pdf)

I was just curious about the possibility of voting to add fouquettei to the database.

Thanks
Matt Abernathy
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I second adding P. fouquettei to the DB.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Wha?? I thought you weren't for making changes?? :lol: :twisted: :crazyeyes: :P

Fundad
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Fundad wrote:

Wha?? I thought you weren't for making changes?? :lol: :twisted: :crazyeyes: :P

Fundad
I said I am in favor of building upon foundation of names we have, not in favor of tearing it down and creating a completely different list.
MAbernathy

Post by MAbernathy »

I agree. I think that we should build and modify on what we have. I think that if there is sufficient scientific evidence to warrant modifications to the species list, then it should at least be voted on, as with this thread.

With that said, should be consider putting P. fouquettei into the database?

Matt
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

MAbernathy wrote:I agree. I think that we should build and modify on what we have. I think that if there is sufficient scientific evidence to warrant modifications to the species list, then it should at least be voted on, as with this thread.

With that said, should be consider putting P. fouquettei into the database?

Matt
If you think it would be beneficial to do so, then you should probably start a thread to discuss it.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I second the motion to put the zonata subspecies back on the list. Let's do it!!!

I also propose we ignore the new getula split names...
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

This poll has ended, and the changes have been made. I am making it unsticky.