Snakes on a Plane -Really

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Daryl Eby

Snakes on a Plane -Really

Post by Daryl Eby »

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... nding?lite

By Ian Johnston, msnbc.com
A pilot made an emergency landing during a flight in Australia, reportedly telling air traffic controllers, "Look, you're not going to believe this. I've got snakes on a plane."

Australia's ABC News reported that Braden Blennerhassett, 26, swiftly put the Air Frontier plane on the ground after making the unusual mayday call during a flight from Darwin to the remote town of Peppimenarti on Tuesday. Air Frontier offers charter and scenic flights throughout Australia’s northern territory.

"My blood pressure and heart rate was a bit elevated -- it was an interesting experience," Blennerhassett told Nine News. "As the plane was landing, the snake was crawling down my leg, which was frightening."

On the ground, a firefighter discovered that the snake that crawled down Blennerhassett's leg was not alone -- a green tree frog was also on the aircraft, Nine News reported. No other wildlife was found, and both animals had disappeared by the time a wildlife ranger came for them.

It is thought the snake, believed to be a non-venomous green tree snake, may have been hunting the frog, Nine News said.

Geoffrey Hunt, director of Air Frontier, which owns the plane, clearly hadn't seen the Hollywood film "Snakes on a Plane."

"I have heard of crocodiles being loose in planes, but not snakes," he told ABC News.

He added that the plane was grounded "until we find the snake," expressing the hope that the aircraft would not have to be taken apart.
ThatFrogGuy

Re: Snakes on a Plane -Really

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Another one...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/324613/ ... anding.htm

Here he is quoted as saying "You're trying to be as still as you possibly can and when you've got your hands on the power levers," he said according to the AP. "You're kind of worried about the snake taking that as a threat and biting you." I love how he's more worried about a non-venemous snake biting him than he is crashing a plane :roll:
JAMAUGHN

Re: Snakes on a Plane -Really

Post by JAMAUGHN »

To be fair,
[the snake]...is non-venomous, but it has the ability to grow up to 5 feet.
so that snake might very well have been growing right there...in the cockpit.

And don't forget that treefrog. For all we know, it could have been growing, too.

JimM