Turtleman Article... I'm not at all surprised

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bullfrog

Turtleman Article... I'm not at all surprised

Post by Bullfrog »

Great read about the "Turtleman". Animal planet admits they are not about education...they are an "entertainment" channel. Good!

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... mal-planet
garry

Re: Turtleman Article... I'm not at all surprised

Post by garry »

Animal Planet Sucks!
justinm

Post by justinm »

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment on the site.

The Stub bigbubbatadsworth
• 2 days ago

My question is, if shows that inform and educate are not profitable, then why is there all of this great programming on PBS that informs and educates. PBS gets very little public funding. Additionally, much of the content on PBS is produced by third party entities, and much of it does quite well.
So I think it's not that Education doesn't sell, it is that it doesn't sell as well as crap, and as we know, Greed and the desire for money is what runs most of our networks, not sticking to a mission. Shareholders care very little about ethics, values, mission statements, and the like. All they care about is money money money.
garry

Post by garry »

So I guess there is really no "squatch" out there! :(
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

"Greed and the desire for money is what runs most of our networks"

.....as well as most of our society, unfortunately.
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

Animal Planet started off as being pretty good. But I guess the popularity of showing human freaks, (The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, Moonshiners, and the rest) on other channels has lured what were once legitimate networks into copying the new model.
Apparently, the general public wants to watch the lowest humans instead of neat animals. Or prefers to watch shows about make believe animals like giant python X anaconda hybrids that eat Florida, the skunk ape, and mermaids.

On the other hand since I work on the beach, I keep pining for the day when a real mermaid washes up.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Greed is certainly a "god" to a large portion of the population a large percentage of the time, in that it determines their actions more than any other god out there.

Of course, unless we stop letting greed dictate our own actions, we have little room to talk about the greed of others.