Alligators in B Flat

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gbin

Alligators in B Flat

Post by gbin »

An oldie (apparently first published in 2007, though I never came across it before) but a goodie! Be sure to watch the video clip at the top of the article rather than just read the text - it's worth it!

http://www.tampabay.com/features/humani ... sy/2127882

I'm already seeing flocks of robins arriving here in the Adirondacks. I personally think they're being a bit optimistic about spring's arrival, but maybe they know more than I...

Gerry
regalringneck

Re: Alligators in B Flat

Post by regalringneck »

... ha that was good & g'evening to you, & typing bout allys & you being a mammal guy, i hope you saw the shots of that fl otter preying on the hapless ally ... its amazing the mustelids didnt take over the world!
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

Thanks for the tip, Gerry. A fascinating story--and Klinkenberg is such a great writer. (but the vid didn't appear for me)
gbin

Post by gbin »

I did see that photo series, John, and I was at least a bit ambivalent about who to root for (I've worked with both gators and otters and think they're both pretty cool) - but yeah, ultimately I had to cheer for the otter. Besides, any time one gets to see (photos of) an act of predation in the wild, that's pretty dang special. And by the way, who's to say that mustelids won't yet take over the world? I sure wouldn't bet against them. ;)

I agree, Ter, you're lucky to have Klinkenberg to read on a regular basis in the St. Petersburg Times. I'm presently without a daily newspaper of any kind to read, and I'm not happy about it. I was subscribing to the Wall Street Journal for a while (I think I mentioned to you recently about reading a review of a passenger pigeon book you recommended there), but it's not the paper it used to be; it seems much more political and less newsy than I remembered back when I used to just pick it up occasionally. I was going to switch to the New York Times now that I finally have enough time for such a hefty paper, but I discovered that they consider my location in the Adirondacks too remote, and wouldn't get my paper to me until one or two days after release. How ridiculous is that? I mean, I'm still in NY, for gosh sake! :x

Gerry