Man Dies After Encounter with Harmless Snake?

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Re: Man Dies After Encounter with Harmless Snake?

Post by chris_mcmartin »

The subject line I chose was sensationalized much like the media does...I actually haven't seen any indication as to species involved.

The snake seems to be secondary to the fact that perhaps this person was not a swimmer, but was still in the water. Regardless of what caused him to drown, it is tragic.

I have a hunch there will be a lot of misguided "revenge killings" of all manner of snakes in North Carolina (and elsewhere).
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Chris I don't see the Sensationalized thing your seeing. A guy got scared seeing a snake let go of the log he was holding and tragically drowned.

It did not read: A man was being pursued by a snake or Snake Causes Man To Drown

It was pretty plain and straightforward.

I don't know how else they could have reported it. Unless you somehow suspect that they just added the snake part? There was no snake at all?

A few months ago there were some beautiful and rare reptiles and amphibians smuggled in from Madagascar, stuffed like sardines in plastic containers, that were abandoned at an airport. Many if not most, died. But no mention of it here.

I am just trying to understand what is accomplished by constantly searching for items of sensationalism by the media, the GP and herps, when so much energy and good standing could be used to target other aspects of media and herps, especially social media, like YouTube.

A person like you, could find many examples to offer respectable, dignified, critical review of these, to show the GP that no, what is shown in this video is not acceptable to serious herpers and herp keepers.

How can the GP be blamed for their perceptions if the responsible herp people are silent?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

And I cannot think of a more competent, multifaceted and amiable voice of representation, then you.