Why Snakebites Are About to Get a Lot More Deadly

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dezertwerx

Why Snakebites Are About to Get a Lot More Deadly

Post by dezertwerx »

I was emailed this story by my dad.... who has always given me kind of a hard time about hots.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigg ... &GT1=32001

Enjoy!
dezertwerx

Re: Why Snakebites Are About to Get a Lot More Deadly

Post by dezertwerx »

Forgot there was a news section and this would have been better there... but it seems like it was posted a few hours ago. Either way interesting to read.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Stupid headline, tolerable article.
Don't mess with coral snakes...how do you get bit by one in the first place?? These aren't exactly open, easy to find critters...
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

I didn't really give the title much thought.

Like all media... they are trying to get people to want to read it. Thats never gonna change.
Upscale

Post by Upscale »

Corals are extremely potent snakes that will not hesitate to bite after dark. There are about eighty bites per year in Florida. They don’t get the respect they deserve because only one person has died from a coral snake bite since the availability of Wyeth’s old coral antivenom, which hasn’t been manufactured for years now. The FDA just keeps extending the expiration date back another year, every year. Eventually it is going to expire for good or run out. Then it will be a problem, no hype about that. A coral 23 inches long or so can fatally envenomate a man, no sweat. A small one probably can’t, but is a danger to a kid for sure.
arf_herper

Post by arf_herper »

They tuck there head under their coil and flap there tail around. Hes right how do you get bit. If you approach it after that it will try to get away. It will only bite when you grab em.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

love how they leave New Mexico out of the states where it is found...they are always leaving us out... :lol: :lol:

Josh
xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

And North Carolina.... basterds
Upscale

Post by Upscale »

I heard yesterday that Carl Barden’s assistant (Dennise Abreu) at Medtoxin Venom Laboratories (Reptile Discovery Center) in Deland got bit by a coral snake out in the yard at the facility going to check the mail or something, had nothing to do with venom extractions! She got quite a bad bite, and this was in broad daylight to a highly experienced person just pulling some weeds or something. It can happen to you!
ugh

Post by ugh »

arf_herper wrote:......... Hes right how do you get bit. If you approach it after that it will try to get away. It will only bite when you grab em.

That last part is key;assuming that article's accurate,that's definitely not good news.........I've found three corals over the years,two of which were 'bitey'.The first of those two was indeed intent on chomping the hell out of me though I probably deserved it-I pinned it for no good reason other than to hold and admire it in my novice overenthusiasm.The snake was already very active(though it was not very hot out yet),broad daylight(I've never heard of their temperment being relevent to time of day).Next time I found one I didn't try to handle it.

Would hate to see someone from here get bitten for no more reason than something similar to my experience.
nickj1199

Post by nickj1199 »

I go to the reptile discovery center sometimes. its like 20 minutes away from my house. its good habitat for snakes where that place is.
tracyk859

Post by tracyk859 »

dezertwerx wrote:I was emailed this story by my dad.... who has always given me kind of a hard time about hots.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigg ... &GT1=32001

Enjoy!
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks for the post.

Post by craigb »