Another flash/no flash question...

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tim Borski

Another flash/no flash question...

Post by Tim Borski »

This little guy wouldn’t sit still so the positions are different, but ignoring that, which one do you feel is better?
Personally, I like the one with natural light because my flash, even set at -1(?) seems a little harsh maybe? On the other hand, I wish the one with no flash was a bit more exposed. sigh
I realize I’ll never get perfect images like you all throw up here, but I keep plugging away. :lol:
Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Tim
MHollanders

Re: Another flash/no flash question...

Post by MHollanders »

I'd say lighting is not the limiting factor on this photo. The composition in #1 is far better. Having said that, I also prefer the lighting of it.
JJuLLiAAn

Post by JJuLLiAAn »

I agree with no.1 having better composition and lighting, but if you shoot raw you might be able to change the exposure in PP.

Julian

P.S. What an awesome looking little thing.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I agree with both of you regarding composition. I only chose these two to ask which light people felt was better because they were fairly similar.
(Personally, I much prefer the light in #1.)

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Tim

JJuLLiAAn, it's a Mangrove diamondback terrapin and I agree, a pretty sharp looking little critter.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

I prefer number 1 as well. Personally though, I'd up the levels a tiny bit and possibly warm up the white balance a tiny bit as well.
matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo »

An odd trick Is to place the turtle upside down. When the turtle rights himself his head is obviously extended and they tend to take a second or two to figure out which way they are gonna book, this gives an opportunity for a shot or two. Just a little tidbit for skittish turtles.
Erik Williams

Post by Erik Williams »

I think the second shot is WAY better composed than the first - he's facing the camera instead of away, is at an angle instead of straight on, and feels twice as alive because of it. he doesn't have that stick in front of his rear leg and has a much more expressive face. If his feet were on the ground and he didn't have that "hit in the head" head tuck going on, it would be a really good shot. I'd throw the first one away and work on the second if these came out of my camera.

That said, the second has too much contrast because of the flash and the first one will clean up better in photoshop - it just looks flat because the light is flat.

I'd make some small global adjustments to the second one and then burn most of the background to match the contrast in the turtle, then call it a day. It looks funny because the flash made the background lighter than the foreground.