Make your own macro lighting ring.

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kit fox

Make your own macro lighting ring.

Post by kit fox »

I thought this would interest a few photographers here.

http://www.diyphotography.net/diy-macro ... g-led-ring
fvachss

Re: Make your own macro lighting ring.

Post by fvachss »

These ring lights do work OK for macro, and one can buy similar units ready made on Ebay for not too much ($35-40 from various Asian vendors). The downside is that they're not flashes, so the motion freezing aspect of flash illumination is absent. If you shoot stationary bugs or herps from a tripod these will work fine, but if you're a handheld "grab-shooter" then a flash may be much more effective at freezing both your and your subject's motion.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Here's a much better DIY for a ringflash, IMHO, because it uses flash.

kit fox

Post by kit fox »

I completely understand the benefits of flash freezing action. You can go a step further, and build a full blown beauty dish, with amazing results.

http://www.ishootshows.com/2010/02/09/m ... auty-dish/
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

I made one of the DIY ring flashes out of a dome lamp with great results. Unfortunately, it's bulky and doesn't carry well in the field. I keep it in my vehicle and either use it for on-the-spot shots or when I hold onto something to take to a spot for better photos.

In the image below, you see the main body at the right, a reflective "insert" to adapt it to a macro twin-lite style flash in the middle, and my 430ex II with off-shoe cord on the left.

Rainbow snake with ring flash

Hatchling terrapin with ring flash

Copperheads with ring flash

Brimley's chorus frog with macro twin-lite insert.

Oustalet's chameleon with MTL insert

Scarlet king with MTL insert

When getting much closer with macro lenses, especially with the more reflective individuals, I prefer the MTL insert. It deadens much of the flash's power, but still works and gives off a nice, soft light. It also lacks the ring-shaped flash reflection that can be a little bit distracting with the ring flash.

Now I'm interested in these beauty lamps.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Hey umop (?),

I like that idea of the insert/cover to control how much light gets through. I was thinking the same thing yesterday, although I might try the slits at 10 and 2 rather than 9 and 3.

Here's another really easy one - http://alphastrobist.wordpress.com/diy- ... hvl-f20am/

The guy is doing it with a pocket sized flash and it looks like it could be easier to use that some of those big aluminum rigs.
I may try this since I have the flash he is discussing.