Speedlite vs ringflash

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

walk-about

Speedlite vs ringflash

Post by walk-about »

Canon 580EX speedlite for nocturnal treefrog shots? Anyone use this and what is best slave(s) to incorporate?

I used a 'ringflash' years ago on a film camera, but the lighting seemed very 'flat', not to mention the 'ring circle' in the very reflective eyes of the subjects I was shooting. Has this technology improved any is say the last ten years??

Thanks for reading.

ROCK ON!

Dave
fvachss

Re: Speedlite vs ringflash

Post by fvachss »

The Canon MR14-EX ringflash incorporates Canon's ETTL flash exposure control, but the ring shaped highlights remain (and are just as distracting) as in the days of the old ML-3:

Many folks prefer the MT24-EX twin flash for macro work. It's much more flexible than the MR14, but requires more set up time and really needs some form of diffusor on the flash heads to avoid blown highlights on every specularly reflective surface. A conventional flash like the 580EX (or even one of the smaller units) will also work well, but needs to be mounted off shoe to avoid shadows from the lens barrel obscuring the subject. These sorts of flash arrangements as well really benefit from a diffusor.

In short, you have a lot of macro flash options with the Canon system, but none are perfect. The MR14 ringflash is very easy to use - set it and forget it - but can create distracting highlights. The MT24 works really well, but needs some messing around with to configure well (and takes up quite a bit of real estate around the front of the lens). The 580EX can be simple enough to use, but requires some arrangement of off shoe cord and bracket which can be a bit ungainly.

Embarrassingly enough I own all three and use the ringflash most of the time just for its size and convenience of use when hiking - even though I know that the MT24 will often give better results when I take the time to use it properly.
Russ_Jones

Post by Russ_Jones »

A diffuser on your 580 would be awesome, a single flash source gives a little more depth IMO.

Russ
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

fvachss and Russ,

Thank you so much for the information.

Rock ON!

Dave
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

use the ringflash most of the time just for its size and convenience of use when hiking
So do I :-) We should all be more hungry!
kit fox

Post by kit fox »

I got tired of the ring flash highlights myself:

Spider-lunch by sgbofav, on Flickr

If you shoot "head-on" with a ringflash, the tell tale circle is diminished:

Juvenile Gopher Snake Genus Pituophis by sgbofav, on Flickr
fvachss

Post by fvachss »

kit fox wrote:I got tired of the ring flash highlights myself:
I hear you. Jumpers with their bulging reflective eyes are a challenge for any flash system. They and water droplets on bugs are probably the worst subjects for the ringflash:

I keep this picture as an extreme example of how bad the ring highlights can get, but to be fair at least 90% of subjects are sufficiently diffuse or irregular so that these highlights aren't usually evident.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I thought the reflections in the spider eyes were ludricrous, but this is beyond bad :-)
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Russ_Jones wrote:A diffuser on your 580 would be awesome, a single flash source gives a little more depth IMO.

Russ

Wait... a Candoia sp? Where? When? Love that genus.