Seeking Input

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Seeking Input

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey all

Seeking advice.... All I have now is a crappy digital Point and Hope camera. I want to upgrade but cant afford a full on DSLR with all the lenses. I found this one while surfing online.

It claims to have Super macro to photo something a cm. away in perfect focus as well as a 26x zoom without changing the lens. Sounds too good to be true, but with advances in technology today, I have no idea.

Here is the link...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/X90/

Dave
Mike Waters

Re: Seeking Input

Post by Mike Waters »

Just depends on what you want in a camera. With manual settings it will help you become familiar with Dslr's but for what they want for that thing you could prob buy a used dslr with a lens. Them you can upgrade and add lenses later. Other them that it looks like a nice camera.
chrish

Post by chrish »

It sounds like you should do some more learning before you make any decision. Do some reading here and other places online to figure out what you want from a camera. There are plenty of affordable cameras that make great herping cameras.

I know that isn't the answer you wanted, but any one of us could tell you what camera we have and that it is great, but it may not be great for your needs. And our opinion of the camera you are asking about will probably be based on little real informations. A few hours worth of reading and research online can make a big difference.

Go to dpreview.com. Look at their buying guide and read there reviews.

Chris
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Thanks for the input. Right now I'm just looking for something to give me better quality (as in detail) photos - either macro or zoom - than the point and hope camera I have now. I'm not looking to be a digital photo wizard, just want something to better document my herping finds that doesnt require a second pack full of lenses etc...
chrish

Post by chrish »

The difficulty is what do you mean by "detail"?

You may be able to improve the detail of your shots by changing how you are using your current camera. Is the problem that you don't have enough depth of field? Is that the "detail" you want?

Or it could be that you are looking for the kind of detail that good lenses reveal. This is generally referred to by photographers as the sharpness of the lens. In general, good lenses are sharp lenses and good lenses are expensive. Actually dedicated macro lenses are generally sharp lenses.

I'm not suggesting that you become sort of photo expert, just that you will be happier with the results you can achieve if you knew how to make the changes you want. The "silver bullet" to improving photography is knowledge, not gear.

Chris
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

But if the closest I can get to rattler is ten feet with my point and hope camera it really doesnt mater. I've tried all the macro settings, etc on the camera to improve the photo image quality (as in focus detail, etc).

As I stated before, I dont have the $$$ to buy a real DSLR with interchangeable lenses so I am looking for an alternative that will be a step up (albeit small) from my point and hope camera but not sink me financially.

Apparently no one has any experience with the type of camera I listed in my original post. All I want to know is 1) does it provide good macro and or zoom shots and 2) is it a relatively decent quality camera that wont break after three months, and 3) is it worth the money.

I'm not really looking for a psychological match to my next camera. Just trying to find one that is reliable in the field to better record my finds and not to make art prints.

Dave
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

Hey Dave,

I know nothing about the Pentax X-90. Pentax is a good name brand so I am sure you would like it. A very good P&S in the same price range is this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... FZ35K.html

Here is a review http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072704panafz38.asp
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

dthor68

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Dave