How do you deal with rain?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

How do you deal with rain?

Post by MonarchzMan »

Given that a number of our target species like it wet, and our camera equipment by and large does not, how do you deal with rain? I'm rather paranoid about my equipment, so when it rains, usually all of my stuff gets zipped up in the pack and I just don't shoot in the rain, although there have been a number of times where I'd like to. So how do you deal with rain?
bgorum

Re: How do you deal with rain?

Post by bgorum »

It depends on how hard it is raining. A lot of the newer SLRs like my D7000 are sealed to some extent. Some of the newer lenses are also gasketed where they mount to the camera. I was shooting in the rain this past Friday morning and had no problems with the camera or lens, though my cloths were completely soaked by the time I was finished.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Firstly, I never try in pouring rain, but I've done 2.5 hrs straight ranging from drizzle to showers. My camera and lens have moderate weather sealing, but after that 2.5 hrs, I did get a little fogging under the front lens element. The lens ended up three days in a bag with desicant packs to make sure I didn't get mold growth. I have a rainfly on my pack and I'll keep a couple dry wash cloths in it to dry off the camera or to shield the top of the lens if I'm carrying the camera in the rain. Staying under trees as much as possible helps, but be wary of old weak branches that may break off with heavy rain.
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

dery

Post by dery »

Due to the sec's climate, I herp more when during rainy days. This is because skating is out of the question unless I want to ruin the hardware and bearings and waterlog the deck.