Frog Call Recording Reviews and How Tos

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Frog Call Recording Reviews and How Tos

Post by chrish »

Although this is the "Image Lab", this seems like as good a place as any to include discussion on the importance of recording frog calls.
So I will compile some reviews and how to's for those interested in exchanging ideas about how to record good frog calls for the HERP database and how to edit those calls.

- A post showing how to clean up frog call recordings using the free, but powerful audio editor called Audacity - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14353&p=172096

- Some thoughts on choosing a recorder for anuran calls - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17363

- An external (but somewhat dated) link discussing recorder choices and explaining how to make a simple parabolic microphone - http://www.leaps.ms/Recording%20Natural%20Sounds.htm

- I found a guy on Ebay who makes and sells nice parabolas with or without microphone setup included. I bought one and have been very happy. And they cost less than $50 with no mic and less than $100 with a mic. He sells under the name sdill471 and I recommend him if you are looking for a cheap parabolic mic dish.

- A link describing how to make decent recordings using a smart phone.
Field Herper

Re: Frog Call Recording Reviews and How Tos

Post by Field Herper »

Thanks for posting this very informative thread Chris. You've also provided links to other very good threads. I learned quite a lot from reading this material. Good on you.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

Thank You Chris.

On the third link they go into detail about the Sony Digital Flash Voice Recorder. I am interested in getting something like that under $100.00. Of these type voice recorders, which would you recommend?

I could have really used one yesterday. I was shooting some Pitcher Plants and heard a couple of frogs start to call. I tried to memorize the call and this morning when I started playing all the tree frogs I could not remember. I am pretty sure it was a Pine Woods, had I recorded the voice then there would be no guessing. I use to take a CD with all the frog calls but that takes to long, dont like to waste time when I am in the field.

Thanks
chrish

Post by chrish »

Sorry, I didn't see your reply here until today.

What to buy for $100 really depends on what your long term goals are. If you think you will eventually be looking at buying a microphone, you might want to look at something like the Tascam DR-05. I don't have any experience with it to report though.

I have a small recorder that I bought at Warmart once when my regular recorder broke. I have used it with and without a mic and it does ok.

I bought this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Digital- ... y/24458354- because it was the best Walmart in the small town I was in had.
Walmart also sells this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Voice-Recorder/28502070 - which might be the updated version of the one discussed in that article? EDIT - I think the difference is that the ICD-UX533 will record in stereo, the cheaper one only in Mono.

The least capabilities I would like (PCM WAV recording, stereo, card slot, USB connection and will connect to a 3.5mm microphone jack. Unfortunately, the two Sony units do not record in WAV format, only in MP3 format.

Looking into this a little bit more, I find myself asking a question. How much better does one of these $100 recorders perform than just a good android or iphone? You can use an older phone that isn't even connected to a phone system anymore and get decent recordings if you use good technique. My LG3 phone records at least about well as the sony recorder as long as I use good technique and a good app (I like the free Tascam PCM recorder app).

Now if you raise your budget to $200 there are a range of recorders that give you significantly more control and thus the potential for better recordings. Also, their inboard microphones are significantly better (quieter). Some of the Olympus LS series (some are better than others), the Sony PCM-M10, the Zoom H4, Tascam DR-40, etc. would all give you a lot more options than the $100 models.

I would compare the decision to buying a camera. A $100 recorder is analagous to a $200 point and shoot camera. A $200-300 recorder is more analagous to a DSLR.
Most modern cell phones can take a picture about as well as most $200 point and shoot cameras, so is it worth buying a $200 P&S if you have a good cell phone? Maybe not? But if you want more control and options in your photography, you have to move up to a DSLR (or DSLR-like) camera. That's what the $200+ recorders give you.