axeman2729

which is better: canon or nikon?

Post by axeman2729 » February 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm

canon or nikon?

Matt Buckingham

Re: which is better: canon or nikon?

Post by Matt Buckingham » February 4th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Haha! Good luck.

In all honesty I think that you can't go wrong either way, I've always used Canon and have been very happy with them, and I have friends who use Nikon and swear by them. I've seen exceptional images from both.

CCarille

Post by CCarille » February 4th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I agree with Matt - there is no "correct" overall answer.

I shoot with Nikon and love it.

Figure out what you want to shoot and your budget and let those decide which way you go. Look at lens reviews and prices. Ultimately, you'll find yourself needing particular Nikon or Canon lenses and then you can fill in the extras with third-party lenses like Tamron. You can find bodies in Nikon and Canon that will fit your needs either way.

Both companies produce quality stuff and images will look good no matter what you go with as long as you learn how to use your gear and shoot.

Norman D

Post by Norman D » February 4th, 2013, 7:36 pm

I like them both! Actually, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc. all make great DSLRs and point & shoot cameras. The most important thing is to learn your camera and the basic principles of exposure/aperature/shutter speed, etc.

Good luck!

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit » February 5th, 2013, 8:46 am

Garrett,

I've used both and like both! My last two, however, have been Nikon Coolpix (currently using a P510, used to use a P100). I used to use a Canon Powershot A80. Note that these are all point and shoot cameras, as I haven't progressed passed those yet (I also haven't learned all the bells and whistles on the P510).

My advice: go to a camera shop (or Best Buy, or Costco, or wherever you can shop for cameras) to handle and try out as many cameras as possible and see what is in your price range and what feels best to you, test out the weight, the zoom, etc. For example, I use a Nikon right now, but I like how the Canon Rebel lines feels more than the Nikon equivalent.

chrish

Post by chrish » February 5th, 2013, 11:07 am

If you are only comparing Nikon and Canon cameras, you really aren't trying to find the best camera so why does it matter?

As others have pointed out, there are several good camera manufacturers worth investigating. Canon is good, as is Nikon, as is Sony, Pentax, Olympus. Since you didn't specify what you are looking for, it might be worth saying that Leica make some very nice cameras as do Hasselblad, particularly if you are in the market for a 50MP camera.

Which are better? fords or chevrolets, or toyota, or hondas, or bentley's, ferraris, lambourghini's, porsches, etc. Equally unanswerable question.

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 » February 6th, 2013, 5:17 am

I was just seeing what others opinions were. I have a camera right now that I like.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » February 6th, 2013, 6:05 am

axeman2729 wrote:I was just seeing what others opinions were. I have a camera right now that I like.
And what is it?

Me, I like Apple/Ferrari/Android/Benz. Got no love for that Windows/Lamborghini/iPhone/BMW crap.

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 » February 6th, 2013, 7:44 am

If you're asking wat camera I have, I have the ge x400

RobertH

Post by RobertH » February 9th, 2013, 11:15 am

ZantiMissKnit: Since you mentioned you now shoot with the Nikon P510 and previously owned the P100, how do the two compare?

I have the P100 myself right now, but am thinking of moving up to the P510 (the successor model of the P100, for those who don't know), in part because of the built in GPS. In fact, one thing I am wondering about is whether the GPS works well in the field. Like, how long does the camera need to be turned on to acquire a signal? Say, I walk along with the camera turned off (to save battery) and suddenly come across a herp I want to voucher for the HERP database, can I just turn the camera on and shoot with the GPS immediately working and recording the location of each photo, or do I need to wait a bit? If the latter, that would pretty much defeat the whole purpose for me, unless the wait is only a few seconds.

Even if you don't use or are not familiar with the GPS feature, I'd love to hear about the P510. I am generally very happy with my P100, but the extra zoom (think birds, not herps) and GPS (and better IQ?) look attractive.

I hope this doesn't hijack this thread too badly. But the OP seems so broad in scope, that a little detail on what is certainly among the most powerful P&S cameras available today (50x zoom!) will not hurt, I hope.

Robert

roosters977

Post by roosters977 » February 10th, 2013, 7:20 am

I like both, all my photos on this forum were taken with a Nikon Coolpix L100. I upgraded to a DSLR this winter, it is a Canon XSI and I love it.