Major Herp Photo Geek Idea.....anyone tried this?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Major Herp Photo Geek Idea.....anyone tried this?

Post by chrish »

OK, so I am looking at Snakestick's home made diffuser setup -

(sorry about borrowing the photo)

And I came up with an idea that might make for excellent lighting and a major herp photo geek fashion statement.

Could you mount one diffused flash head on either side of a hard hat (or something similar) and then control them with wireless or a sync cord. It would be like the world's biggest macro/twin flash unit, except you wouldn't have to hold the flash heads. And because they are on your head, they will always be pointing where you are looking. Total cost (assuming you had the flashes and sync/wireless capability) wouldn't be more than $20.

Of if you only had one (powerful) flash, you could mount the flash on the back and your diffuser on each side and "funnel" the light into each with mirrored tubes?

With all the weight, you might need a chinstrip, but that would only reinforce the major geek points you could get for wearing it.

Stop me before this gets crazier. :crazyeyes:

It wouldn't be good in dense brush, but it could be fun. And you couldn't let anyone see you wear it!

Antonsrkn

Re: Major Herp Photo Geek Idea.....anyone tried this?

Post by Antonsrkn »

Haha cool idea, I hope someone tries or has tried this and puts up photos, both of the set up and the results.
And you couldn't let anyone see you wear it!
If you did you could always fire off the flashes and make a quick getaway as the person is reeling from getting twin flashes fired off in their face and completely nightblind.

umop apisdn

Re: Major Herp Photo Geek Idea.....anyone tried this?

Post by umop apisdn »

Hmmm...I wonder where Ian got that idea...

Does Canon make an off-shoe cord that will take two flashes in a "Y" configuration, or would you be stuck with some off-brand?

I've mimicked the effects of the MTL by modifying a DIY ring flash based off the same idea as this. I'd be down for the wear-it-on-your-head-instead idea if I just knew there was a way to maintain manual control of the flashes. In the meanwhile, I'll stick with carrying my ugly, bulky dome.