Sizing Pics

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Sizing Pics

Post by Kelly Mc » March 27th, 2013, 11:01 am

I have a question about sizing pics - what is the perfect size? I would like very much to stay within the standard size choices that are offered by photo bucket, to streamline the tedium.

For example what I would consider the perfect size would be the size of Justins lightbox snakes in herpetoculture forum.

I appreciate any replies, thanks guys

I also notice everyone uses flickr. I wish I knew that before taking the suggestion to get photobucket.

Stohlgren

Re: Sizing Pics

Post by Stohlgren » March 27th, 2013, 11:34 am

Depends on what you need. For web presentation I always resize mine to 1024 pixels wide (for landscape) or 800 pixels tall (for portrait) before I load them to my preferred web hosting site (which happens to be Flickr). Makes them load faster and are less useful if someone has a mind to steal them. When I post to this forum I can select one of the smaller sizes, if needed. Here are a few examples:

640x427

800x534

1024x683

426x640

678x800

-Kevin

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » March 27th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Thank you!!!

Beautiful answers too!

Yes I see without your putting it into words, how the size proportion to the subject is meaningful.

Like the brilliant little bird - being in the cozy size frame makes him pop, while the cyptic sallie is subtle and we all want to see the morphological characters and colors details that are fine, so big is good.

This image lab forum has great teachers :thumb:

It is very unfriendly territory for me, the map out of photobucket. That is a big obstacle personally.

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren » March 27th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Well, I didn't actually pick the sizes specifically for each photo. Just randomly picked some recent photos and posted them at different sizes so you could see which size you like. I usually post at one of the first two sizes.

Photobucket can probably do all of this, too. I just found Flickr to be much more user friendly, so I've stuck with it.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » March 27th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Yes i only could rationally want a couple sizes overall too - but i can see where the smaller vertical frame could be nice sometimes. Photobucket is creepy and facebooky if everything gets that way it will be unfortunate. If flickr has less clutter and is more straightfoward i would switch but i dont have alot of time to do this kind of stuff

MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan » March 27th, 2013, 6:32 pm

that treefrog shot and the baby mud turtle are awesome!

chrish

Post by chrish » March 28th, 2013, 2:51 pm

I always resize my photos myself and I only post them at the size that I created. I don't let photo websites resize for me. If I need a smaller or larger photo, I resize it before uploading.

It doesn't take a second to do and the results are superior to what photobucket or flickr or any other host will do.

Make sure you check Photobucket's terms of service.

I left Photobucket (I was a paid user) a few years ago for pbase because of their TOS. Someone took one of the photos from that site and used it for something I didn't approve of and didn't want my photo used. I contacted the person and they told me that they had every right to use it for whatever they wanted and used some rather colorful language when explaining that to me. Turns out they were right -
  • "When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, stream, post publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose.
    By making your content public, you are also giving other Members on Photobucket the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site, third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Members to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites), provided such use is not for a commercial purpose......
    If you stop using the Photobucket Services, your Content may remain on the Site unless you actively remove your Content, and the rights you granted to us and other Users remain.
    "
I don't know about Flickr.

Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear » April 7th, 2013, 9:00 pm

With Flickr, you can retain exclusive copyrights, release your image to the public domain, or do anything you want in between. Also, the compression algorithms they use make the images look much better than those hosted on Photobucket. I really wish Photobucket would die in a fire.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell » April 8th, 2013, 3:14 am

I really wish Photobucket would die in a fire.
:thumb:

justinm

Post by justinm » April 8th, 2013, 5:48 am

Natalie McNear wrote:With Flickr, you can retain exclusive copyrights, release your image to the public domain, or do anything you want in between. Also, the compression algorithms they use make the images look much better than those hosted on Photobucket. I really wish Photobucket would die in a fire.

I've gone round and round with photobucket including talking to a VP for them. They're idiots really they are. I'm so upset with them that I wish and hope that they fail miserably and go away.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » April 9th, 2013, 8:12 am

I feel manipulated by photo bucket. It feels as though there are built in "Freezes" and sneaky f*ups.

On another somewhat same note i made an account on facebook a few months ago so i could access some sites that are on there. Even creepier than i imagined it was, as scant minimal as my activity on it was.

I de activated the account and feel like i threw something disturbing and unlucky out of my house. :D