Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike VanValen

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

Post by Mike VanValen » March 31st, 2013, 10:06 pm

Anyone use this camera? I'm thinking of picking one up. These compacts are getting neater with decent macro features and this one has 20X zoom. This will just be a camera to fool around with and keep handy for quick snapshots.

justinm

Re: Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

Post by justinm » April 1st, 2013, 1:56 pm

I have a friend who had the previous version and it was a great camera but it simply quit working just after a year. Canon wanted a lot of money to "repair" it which my understanding is that they just replace them with a refurb. It's versatile and will take great pictures, but I think there was a class action lawsuit from the previous version. Panasonic Lumix have something very similar, the quality is amazing as well. I call these camera a Prosumer, since point and shoot doesn't seem to fit.

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen » April 3rd, 2013, 8:16 am

Thanks for the heads up. The Lumix line looks nice, but so do a couple of Olympus cameras.

justinm

Post by justinm » April 3rd, 2013, 11:47 am

Mike VanValen wrote:Thanks for the heads up. The Lumix line looks nice, but so do a couple of Olympus cameras.

I have a Panasonic Lumix, well my wife does. I carry that if I'm going light and it does well enough. Pingle has the higher end version with like 20x zoom. People usually comment on his pics. I have an Olympus Stylus Tough series. My only nit with that camera is that it's slow between shots. It's indestructible and good for gonzo trips where you might dive in a creek when you need to, or for hunting turtles where you are swimming. The zoom is only 3 or 4X on that one though. I hope that helps you out. I usually shoot my DSLR, which is a big ole boat anchor. If I was getting a replacement that wasn't DSLR, I would likely get the 20x Lumix.