Nikon macro advice

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

narrowfellow

Nikon macro advice

Post by narrowfellow »

I just ordered a Nikon D7100 and the R1 macro kit for fieldwork; it's time to get back to getting decent images after a decade of point and shoot. So far we're planning to use my old (ca. 1996) 105mm f/2.8 macro, but it may not have all the TTL capabilities of a more recent version. The pop-up flash on the D7100 is capable of serving as a commander for the 2 flashes that come with the R1 kit. Anyone have thoughts on whether we should add the SU-800 Speedlight Commander to this set-up? Any and all feedback welcome.
Thanks, Bob
chrish

Re: Nikon macro advice

Post by chrish »

narrowfellow wrote:I just ordered a Nikon D7100 and the R1 macro kit for fieldwork; it's time to get back to getting decent images after a decade of point and shoot. So far we're planning to use my old (ca. 1996) 105mm f/2.8 macro, but it may not have all the TTL capabilities of a more recent version. The pop-up flash on the D7100 is capable of serving as a commander for the 2 flashes that come with the R1 kit. Anyone have thoughts on whether we should add the SU-800 Speedlight Commander to this set-up? Any and all feedback welcome.
Thanks, Bob
The SB800 is a nice flash, but if your only need is to command the R1 units, why bother?
If you need a larger flash for other sorts of situations (which you eventually will) then get it. It seems like it is really a matter of what you need.
narrowfellow

Post by narrowfellow »

Thanks, Chris, but I'm talking about the SU-800 (wireless Speedlight Commander), not the SB-800 (a flash).
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

I wouldn't waste your money on the SU800. The SU800 provides more robust control of multiple flash units. It also allows you to easily change settings for each flash group quickly and easily without clicking through the camera menus. If you are just planning on using the 2 R1s, you will mostly be fine using the on camera popup flash. If you want ease of use I would take the 300 or so for the SU800 and actually buy a SB900 or SB700. You will use them far more than the SU800, still be able to easily control the multiple flash units and you get a flash that can be used in many other situations, not just a commander. The drawback is you are stuck with 3 flash reflections, not just two. I tend to shoot with my SB900 turned down more than the R1 units, I find the results pleasing. I need to start fooling around more with diffusing the flashes though.

BTW I find the 3 reflections sexy...

Jason
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

I also think that old nikon is probably just as sharp as the new version. I kinda like the VR but for flash work you don't need it.

Jason