New Flickr

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

umop apisdn

Re: New Flickr

Post by umop apisdn »

The aesthetics of the new design are just about the only thing I've come to like. When reflecting back on the old format, you really can't say it actually looked better. However, as far as drawing in photo views, it did work much better in the old format.

I like the appearance of the "new photo experience", but I strongly dislike how - at least for now - I can't seem to find a way to get to different resolutions of my images or make general edits. It's certainly flawed and I hate to think that after all of these years, I'll be leaving Flickr for another host if they don't resolve some of the major issues.

I don't think you can blame this all squarely on the judgment of the Yahoo execs, either. Sure, they're responsible for making major decisions for the companies...but the overwhelming rate at which digital media is being stored online us the driving force here. They're abandoning their older way of catering to the actual photography crowd because almost everyone is taking photos these days because everyone has an iPhone. We're simply outnumbered. Also, consider that everything has a social media slant on it. Notice how you no longer add contacts (or get added as a contact)? It's now you're following someone (or being followed).

A friend and fellow herper has brought up 500px, which I never looked into until recently. I might look into it once the new photo experience becomes the only photo experience, without addressing some of the major concessions it now looks like older Flickr users will be forced to make. Otherwise, I might just have to look into starting something with friends to get our own domain to showcase our shared photography interests, in hopes that sharing the domain will help cut costs.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

For the most part, I like flickr. I have not seen anything wrong with it yet. But then again I am new to it, I have no idea how it worked prior. I used photo.net for several years which cost $25.00 a year, flickr is free. Also at photo.net and there "build your own" website, the thumbnail photos are not at all sharp, flickr is VERY sharp. Is a matter of fact, flickr does a better job of representing (color, clarity, sharpness)than any other site I have been on to date and it is free.

No complaints here,
Derek
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Looks like they're at it again...I've stayed with flickr but this new facebook-esque photo viewer might be the thing that sends me over.
justinm

Post by justinm »

ThatFrogGuy wrote:Looks like they're at it again...I've stayed with flickr but this new facebook-esque photo viewer might be the thing that sends me over.
I agree the new changes, again, are not to my liking. It's harder to do what I want.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I've stayed with flickr but this new facebook-esque photo viewer might be the thing that sends me over
Is flickr converting people to the "new experience" forcefully now? Luckily I have been able to opt out so far, my biggest issue with it is whenever I look at my own photos in the new format even sharp photos appear slightly soft, its not the images fault as they look fine at even bigger sizes when normally viewed but the few times I have tried out the new format that quickly sent me back to the old way.

I dont like the new changes at all but im not likely to abandon flickr anytime soon, I like the community on there and over time I have accumulated a bunch of contacts whose photos I enjoy seeing. I have noticed many users reduce activity on flickr and thats a shame, if i come across a different site that I like I may use start using it as well and reduce my flickr use but i doubt I will discontinue it completely.

Additionally im hesitant to leave flickr as I have been contacted by people asking for and sometimes buying my images for magazines, books, zoos, etc... Now I can't say I have made any significant money of this but it does help validate my photography hobby (not that i need any validation besides the satisfaction).
A friend and fellow herper has brought up 500px, which I never looked into until recently.
I haven't checked out 500px myself but i have been meaning to as I have heard some positive things about it. But i recently saw this which turns me off to it somewhat: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/08 ... title_0_15
It's worth noting though that for that fee of $250, the buyer of the image is purchasing 'a worldwide, any-media usage license'. In other words, as 500px explains: 'unlimited print and digital impressions forever'.

Would you be happy with selling an unlimited license to one of your pictures, forever, for $175?
Frankly if someone contacted me with these terms I'd probably accept, i just don't like that I dont seem to have any control over it.
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Is flickr converting people to the "new experience" forcefully now? Luckily I have been able to opt out so far, my biggest issue with it is whenever I look at my own photos in the new format even sharp photos appear slightly soft, its not the images fault as they look fine at even bigger sizes when normally viewed but the few times I have tried out the new format that quickly sent me back to the old way.
When I said that I was viewing it on a public computer, not logged in. Luckily I could opt out of it once I logged in. I sure hope they don't make that "new experience" mandatory soon, but I fear they probably will.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

They finally did it, I have been switched to the "new experience" with no way to revert back to the old way. I am not thrilled about it.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I am not thrilled about it.
They switched me, too. I hate it.
Owen

Post by Owen »

I just got this ugly grey pane today that takes up 20% of the right of the screen. I don't know how to kill it. Sucks that it takes me two extra steps to post a picture since I select a size and insert a link. Oh well...

Improvise, adapt and overcome. Oorah :x
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Yeah, no way to kill it anymore. They've completely switched over. I hate it, but didn't find that it took any extra steps to post photos.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I guess I'm the only one who likes all the changes to Flickr. I really like the larger view of the photos on the black background.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Soopaman wrote:I guess I'm the only one who likes all the changes to Flickr. I really like the larger view of the photos on the black background.
You could have also viewed images on a black background on the old flickr. In the lightbox.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Yea, I was a little shocked when it hit at first, but I really don't mind. I prefer a black background over white, partly considering my tendency to underexpose and the black background doesn't take from the dark details as much as when your pupil reacts to a white background.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Looks like Flickr has changed their format yet again. So far I actually like the changes. Still not as much as the old format, but I think I'm going to be happier with it. Though, I hope this is in an effort to address users complaints rather than a trend of constantly overhauling their format.

What does everyone else think? (Including you, Kyle, as the only one who seemed to like the new format)
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I kind of liked the new-old format with the all black viewing screen and larger photo.

This isn't bad. I like the layout of comments and the various info buttons better, though.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Stohlgren wrote:Looks like Flickr has changed their format yet again. So far I actually like the changes. Still not as much as the old format, but I think I'm going to be happier with it. Though, I hope this is in an effort to address users complaints rather than a trend of constantly overhauling their format.

What does everyone else think? (Including you, Kyle, as the only one who seemed to like the new format)
I like it enough that I might start putting photos up on it again. Hopefully it's easier to share them, as it was a nightmare after the last change. I don't want to spend that much time working to share one file, for a site I pay for.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Soopaman wrote:I kind of liked the new-old format with the all black viewing screen and larger photo.
You can still view large on black with just the click of a button, so I have no issues there.
justinm wrote:I like it enough that I might start putting photos up on it again. Hopefully it's easier to share them, as it was a nightmare after the last change. I don't want to spend that much time working to share one file, for a site I pay for.
I don't understand why everyone was having such a hard time sharing photos before. That was one of the few things I thought worked well and was user friendly. Kyle posted the steps many times and only took like two or three clicks. And testing sharing on the newest format here, it only took a couple clicks.

I still wish they would add back the ability to add notes to the photos, but other than that, I don't have many complaints.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I am at best luke-warm about the new format, mostly because I had to relearn what I had learned just a few months ago - sharing photos.

Here's how you now post photos on this or other FHF forums:

1. Left-click on the little downward pointing arrow in the lower left corner of the page showing the photo (which is confusingly labeled as "download this photo", another, but not the only function of the arrow button) and select "View all sizes" from the menu.

2. Left-click on the image size you want.

3. Right-click on the image that opens up and select "Copy Image Location" from the menu.

4. Paste the image location between the Img brackets on the forum ()

I too sure hope that Flickr will not change the layout again any time soon. It took me quite awhile to figure out the new way of sharing photos as described above, and I don't want to have to do this every few months. It wouldn't be so bad if sharing photos were intuitive on Flickr, but it isn't, at least not anymore.

Robert
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Robert, that's a lot more work than necessary.

Click the right pointing arrow "share photo."

Select type (BBcode for forums) and size. Press Ctrl+C. Paste into your post.

After the first one, it remembers why type/size you prefer. It takes literally less than 2seconds to get the code and paste it into a post, and it includes all your Flickr labels.

ImageCrotalus viridis (Prairie Rattlesnake) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Thanks, man. That does work faster. :roll: :)

Image009 by robertohess, on Flickr

Still, I don't find it intuitive, especially since it no longer requires - or allows - the Img brackets. Peviously, I had tried using the various codes (HTML, BBCode) with the Img brackets, each time without success, of course. But maybe, I am just technologically challenged.

Thanks again,

Robert
DarwinsBulldog

Post by DarwinsBulldog »

TESTING…………

Imagediamond111 by Greg Strait, on Flickr