Making prints

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

matt ignoffo

Making prints

Post by matt ignoffo » July 20th, 2013, 6:37 am

I have a few landscapes and a couple herp shots I want to frame and hang. Does anyone have recommendations for online sources to get prints, and any other hints would be helpful too, particularly paper type. I've only ever printed people portraits from Walgreens etc, I definitely want to go up a notch or two in quality.

Thanx!

Matt

CCarille

Re: Making prints

Post by CCarille » July 20th, 2013, 7:43 am

I personally love Nations Photo Lab - I use them for all of my displays (aside from canvas work) and personal prints. Get the prints from them and then bring the prints with you when searching for frames - use the prints with you to determine what looks best. NPL has also been fantastic with customer service. They've resent prints (free of charge) when I wasn't happy and rushed orders when I've asked them to for a last minute display.

Their metallic paper prints really pop. The textured linen paper is pretty neat also, but you need a certain kind of photo for it to look good/be worth it. I would also suggest not selecting color corrections if you're happy with how your images look and don't want any changes (even minor).

matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo » July 20th, 2013, 8:10 am

Thanx a lot. I will check them out for sure.

justinm

Post by justinm » July 20th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I'm a huge fan of Mpix.com which has a professional site called Miller Picture Galleries. I've had really big prints done by them and they've made me really happy. The only thing to note is that if you've worked your photos make sure you check the box that says don't modify photo. If you don't they take it upon themselves to edit your work. I have had pictures of my family and snakes and sallies printed off. I even had an issue with a corner being bent once and they shipped the entire order again, not just the one picture. www.mpix.com

matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo » July 21st, 2013, 8:23 am

Ok thanx guys

Geqqo

Post by Geqqo » July 25th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Can't say enough, love these guys http://www.elcocolor.net/

Dan

reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts » August 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

+1 again for Nations Photo Lab, its ran by actual photographers and they do a great job on prints. I am fortunate to have a professional printer about 2 blocks from my house, while its more expensive than online resources, they do a fantastic job.

When you get your frame - consider adding a matting - especially to landscape! Then use a color wheel to find complimnetary colors to bring out the target colors in your image (If its a red you want to use a green matting, or have some green in your framing) Here's a link to help you with the color choices!

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Next is the glass - if you are going to invest in doing a print right, do the frame right too. There is a marketting gimic glass called "masters display glass" that a lot of frame stores use, and while they market it well its WORTH getting. The anti-glare works wonderfully and you will find yourself getting more compliments.

I use matte paper when I'm doing larger images where I want the details to really pop and give depth, I use glossy paper when I'm doing slightly smaller prints or images where there is not a lot of details in the shadows of an image. This has worked well for me. And I'm sure others will have other things to say.

Hope this helps!