Rebel T5i of EOS 60D

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

Rebel T5i of EOS 60D

Post by brick911 »

Well, it looks like I'm in the market for a camera again after my trusty T1i bit the dust last night with an err 20 code. I'm sure I could get it fixed, but its out of warranty and from what I see, is an expensive fix.

After looking at Canon's website, these two models seem to fall into my "forced" price range. You guys know what I take pics of: herps, and recently birds. If I take a picture of a person, its rare. :)

Does anyone with knowledge on either of these or at least better basic knowledge than me, have any advice or insight on which way to go? Thanks!
J-Miz

Re: Rebel T5i of EOS 60D

Post by J-Miz »

Brick,

If I were to choose between the two, I would pick the 60D. Image quality will be essentially the same on these APS-C cameras. But the 60D has a better built, more weather sealing, and about double the battery life (1100 shots compared to 550). I don't know you, but judging by your avatar I believe you will find the larger body more comfortable in your hand (I'm a wimpy male and I much prefer the xxD series to the xxxD rebels). The xxD series has a separate wheel for changing aperture and other settings (makes changing the settings quicker and easier). The T5i does have autofocus during video shooting and a touchscreen interface, which the 60D does not.

If you are not opposed to buying used, I know you can land a 60D in newish condition for $500 or less. As well, keep in mind the Canon T4i is essentially the same camera as the T5i. Really nothing has changed! So if you do want to keep with the rebel series, you might want to save a few bucks and pick up a T4i.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Hmm... Thanks for the tips. I might check out the T3i as well as it seems I can save a few hundred getting that. While I wanted to step up a bit, I just wasn't prepared financially right now with my 10-day vacation two weeks away and me saving every penny I have. Moving up might have to wait. I'm not a pro anyway.

I was maybe even thinking of going the used-body route. I'm assuming camera shops will warranty them. I have to make a visit... quickly. I feel naked without my camera.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

Hey Bob, heres a used deal from BH on a 60D. also have a cheaper one and a refurbished one for a bit more

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... amera.html

i know how you feel about feeling naked without the camera haha
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Bob, one thing a lot of herpers don't know the benefit of until they get it, a flip out LCD, which the 60D has. frogs and other arboreal animals over head, or eye level shots of an animal with having to lay down on your stomach, are both MUCH easier with a screen the you can flip out and angle up or down so you can see what you are shooting when the viewfinder wouldn't let you. I haven't used either camera, I have a 7D, but I think the 60D stacks up much better for herp photography than the t#i
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I haven't looked at an LCD to take pictures in four years. I could see the benefit of what you are saying. I'll make sure to play with a model that has that. Thanks!
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Yeah, I came from a P&S that had it, and now I use the viewfinder 90% of the time now, but I do miss it on the 7D, but I figured the weather sealing of the 7D was more important than the folding LCD. I've seen other herpers with DSLRs that have that option and it gets used at some point during a photo shoot.
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

The big differences you will see when it comes to these cameras come in the form of durability, ISO performance, and features.

As stated, the t5i is basically the t4i with very little actual improvement on the sensor, and no improvements on the style or features. The 60D is about to be replaced by the 70D, and this camera is going to be bringing a lot more to the table with its dual processor for an incredibly rapid autofocus system. This matters when you want to consider taking any kind of action shots of birds, but with herps its not the case.

If you are on a budget, find a used Canon 40D or 60D if you can afford one used. Stay away from the t-i series just because they are made for entry level use. They will work, and with the proper lighting do a good job (you can use flashes to control lighting so not that big of a deal in the end). Then canon also has its new Compact DSLR that just relased / announced. It's price point is about 700 for body only if memory serves, but it would do well for the weight aware person who wants to carry minimum into the field.
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Just want to reiterate what some others have said. I have had the 60d for a couple years and absolutely love it. By far I use the swivel screen most for herp photography. its so great to bend down but not have to lie fully on your stomach to get a herp's perspective. highly recommended

Neil
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Love my 60D. I upgraded to it last year -- no regrets.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Brick,

Hands down I would invest in the 60D. For all the reasons given.

I used a 20D for 8 years, and had to upgrade to a newer model of Canon about 2 months ago. And, man am I glad I did.

Image quality has improved. The video capability is pretty insane. Flip screen is very handy. Its pretty much a low-cost professional camera body.

Here are some examples of images taken with the 60D. First 2 images (and the video) taken with a 100 mm macro and the 3rd image is with the 100-400 IS L series lens. Both Canon lenses.

And here is an example of a short video clip taken with the 60D:

fvachss

Post by fvachss »

The T5i and the 60D both use essentially the same sensor so noise performance will be about the same. They both have tilt/swivel LCDs and they both use SD cards for storage (vs. the CF cards of the more expensive lines). The main difference between them isn't functionality, but simply size and weight.

Go to a camera store and pick up a 60D and a T4i/T5i. Odds are one will fit your hands better. That's the one you should buy. Either will take equivalently good pictures.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

If you haven't already read these reviews, its worth your time:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... on_eos700d
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

I have a T4i, and love it. I use the touch screen in field a lot and couldn't go without the flip/swivel either. I ended up getting an external battery grip and the camera has a much better feel than before. I am pretty sure that if you already have something like an external battery grip it will, or most likely will, also work/fit on the T4&5i bodies.

Honestly though, these days it's really the photographer and the glass that makes the magic happen. I feel like people split hairs in regards to camera bodies.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Honestly though, these days it's really the photographer and the glass that makes the magic happen. I feel like people split hairs in regards to camera bodies.
Ultimately I gotta agree with you Travis.