Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

reptileexperts

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC

Post by reptileexperts »

Alright guys, this will be the start of a thread that I want to put together to talk about this new lens that just become available again in the US this week on the 26th on Canon mount. This is a very unique lens, and the DMarks on it are showing it to be the sharpest lens tested to date when used on an APS-C body like the 60D or 7D, or the new 70D (not yet tested, predicted to score extremely well).

Interesting things to know: This is an APS-C lens (Digital Camera lens - DC in the title) meaning that it is specifically designed to be used with a cropped sensor DSLR whether you are talking canons 1.6, or Nikons DX 1.6x crop. If you put it on a Full Frame camera like the Canon 6D, 5D Mark III, etc, you will get severe vignetting from 18-28mm or so, and moderate to slight vignetting from 28-35mm, while it's usable at 35mm, this lens is NOT goign to be worth it for you full time full frame shooters out there. However, this is where I fell in, and what I found interesting and a reason to post this. For those of us who use a canon 1D series, that has the APS-H sensor, this is a 1.3x crop value, while SOME vignetting is noticeable at 18mm f1.8, you really do not notice it enough to warrant it unusable. Quite the contrary this lens has proven itself to be sharp corner to corner at 1.8 on my 1D Mark III across its focal range of 18-35mm. This is the first lens in the history of lens making that has been able to achieve a constant aperature of f1.8 on a zoom lens. When used with a 1D Mark III, IV, X you will be very happy with the results (NOT on the 1Ds again, this is a full frame camera, but those who own that camera will know this fact).

Nikon's F mount will be released at the end of September. On the D600, D800 and D800e, this lens will be usable in DX mode, but essentially, it will be the same as canon shooters using their 5D Mark II and simply cropping out the vignetting. Possible, but not always that attractive IMO, but supposedly will be fine in real world test with nikon, more to come I'm sure at the end of the next month on this.

In short summery - we are dealing with a lens that is designed for an APS-C sensor, but is now proving itself to be a valualbe asset to photographers utilizing the pro series 1D bodies (sorry nikon, you'll still need to use DX mode on your pro lines or semi-pro or entry FF). Many will argue that the focal length leaves much to be desired. That the difference between 18-35 is not great enough, and the sigma 35 F1.4 will score higher on the other options out there with the FF market. But this is literalyl the only 18mm F1.8 lens in the world at the moment. Most of your habitat shots for herps should be accomplished around the 26mm focal length (this would need to be just over 17mm on a 1.5x crop, but on a 1.3x crop of the 1D series we get a 23.4mm focal equivilancy at the widest point of 18mm on the lens. Making this a 23.4mm f1.8 on a 1D body!

This will not be for everyone. This may be most popular with shooters of the canon 60D line and 7D line. Maybe its not a great lens for herps (lets strongly remember that this lens will focus down to about 9.4 cm from the front element, use a single 12mm extension tube and make the focus point just in front of the lens for those who want those sick wide angle macro shots). But from what I have seen so far, this is a VERY sharp lens wide open. Very fast and accurate AF in good light and even in low light. Very good build quality. And calibratable with sigmas USB dock. PLUS: sigma now offers a remounting service for around 50 euros to change your lens from a nikon or canon mount to another type! So if you ever change brands this lens can stay with you. And you WILL want it to!

sigma 18-35mm F1.8, mounted on canon 1D Mark III

Test shots coming Friday evening after using it in the field for herps.
fvachss

Re: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC

Post by fvachss »

This may very well be an excellent lens, but the question to ask is whether the focal range works for your intended purpose. Many APS-C users have a standard 18-55mm kit lens (which while much slower and likely substantially less sharp than the lens in question, includes the same range of focal lengths). If you've used the kit lens for herping then you should ask: Would an extra 2-stops of speed give me what I want or do I really need a different focal length and/or working distance and/or maximum magnification?

I get excited about unique new lenses too, and this certainly appears to be one (and in general I'm very happy with the direction in which Sigma is going with its "Art" lenses). That said, one always needs to first ask if ones shooting is served by the focal range - and for me at least in the realm of herp shooting I believe it would not be.
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

The thing that gives it potential in my book is simply how sharp this lens is. It's sharper than the 100mm f2.8 macro lens according to the dmark scale with a rating of 25-26 on the canon 60D and 70D bodies.

Whether the working focal distance will be right is still up for question. Most of my field shots have always been textbook style images but not so much with habitat. I know most people shoot habitat around 16mm (10mm on a cropped sensor). But for not ultra-wide habitat shots the range around 22-25mm seems to be more fitting where this lens falls just shy of 24mm at its widest on an APS-C. Now, minimal focal distance is quite impressive though! Giving it a 1:3 magnification ratio if I recall correctly. You'd be danger close for hots or spooky snakes but it should work. We will see. I'm doing a shoot in panama for a week next Friday, and plan to give this lens the full run next to my 5D Mark II with my 17-40 f4 and 100mm f2.8.
chrish

Post by chrish »

It does look like a nice lens for a "walk around" lens, but I'm not sure I could justify spending $800 for a really sharp kit lens replacement that goes to 1:4.3. I just don't shoot enough pictures in that focal length range.

If you are a Canon shooter, you could buy the Canon 17-40 L lens for about $50 less and get a little more zoom range and roughly the same potential closeup capability. This lens may be a tad sharper, but I think in real world comparisons the difference would be negligible. I think Sigma might be over pricing this lens. Time will tell.

You could also buy the Sigma 10-20 for under $500.

I do like Sigma's new interchangeable mount concept. This will be especially beneficial to those of us who chose not to go with Canon or Nikon mount cameras.
Matt Buckingham

Post by Matt Buckingham »

reptileexperts wrote:It's sharper than the 100mm f2.8 macro lens according to the dmark scale with a rating of 25-26 on the canon 60D and 70D bodies.
Can you provide any more details on this? I find that hard to believe.
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

Yeah I'll get the Dmark benchmark review when I get home this evening. And I'll try and put some real life comparisons together. I've been shooting with it on and off all day just generic shots as my fun lens for the day. Will try it with some nerodia in the field tonight.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

If I shot the streets at night, I would buy this lens in a heartbeat. For what I shoot, anything nature, I would never have a use for it at that focal range (27-52mm). Also, looks like it will have horrible falloff at f/1.8. However, if its anything like the new 35mm lens Sigma has, it should be very nice.
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... sus-primes - Dmark test scores against other prime lenses reference.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses ... mera2)/870

Score comparison . . .

And a couple shots from the field yesterday. Struck out herping - but didn't kill myself time wise -
Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake - at Sunset

American Alligator with red flora on the water

Top view

Will do a LOT better look into this lens ability next weekend in Panama, but this was the brief time I spent with it this weekend.

Cheers
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

Added fact:

I added a 12mm extension tube (kenko auto tube) to the Sigma on my 5D Mark II full frame and had a loss of vignetting, and still retained a workable focal range at the lens starting around 20mm. I took some sky "vignetting" examples, I will attempt to get up this evening showing how this lens handles things.

Cheers
reptileexperts

Post by reptileexperts »

Eyelash Viper, photographed with the Sigma 18-35 and 1D Mark III in the cloud forest of Panama. Photographed as found.