Canon MT-24EX...for herping

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

J-Miz

Canon MT-24EX...for herping

Post by J-Miz »

Just bumped into a great price on a secondhand MT-24EX with Stofen diffusers. I was wondering how many Canon shooters own this flash and what lenses you find it useful with. I know it often is used with the 65mm mp-e, which I do not currently own. Sample shots taken with this flash are more than welcome!
jason folt

Re: Canon MT-24EX...for herping

Post by jason folt »

I started a response to this but accidentally clicked the window closed. It was long and witty, and made fun of the crappy canon version without wireless tech. Anyway, these units rock. I use the nikon version, (which is the same but better - no wires) for all of my amphibian and small snake shots. I haven't started diffusing them yet, but keep saying I am going to do so. Some people don't like the double or triple catch lights. I use mine with a nikon sb900 mounted to the camera as a commander.

The unit is rather small and light. It won't beat shots where you lug around a soft box or set up a whole little studio, but you can travel or hike anywhere easily and use it quickly in the field. I have taken it all over the place.

I recently went to the smokies this spring, and most of the shots were using the rig.

Alabama

Costa Rica (this is where I really started using this primarily for my frog shots)

Hawaii

Oregon

I pulled up a few quick shots. This is just a fraction of what I have used it for.

Jason
justinm

Post by justinm »

Jason,

I'm insanely jealous of the animals you've had in your lens, and the quality of the shots you managed. Fantastic job and I think I need this flash setup now.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Jeez...excellent shots, Jason. Those shadows are much less noticeable than the ones I've been getting with a single flash attached to the hotshoe. Yes, a wireless model would be even better. I did a quick google and found the Nikon version less clumsy-looking.

Those catch lights don't really bother me; most in your examples would be easy to clone out, reduce, etc if desired. But I think it adds some life to the eye. Do you typically use this setup handheld, relying solely on the flash to illuminate the subject? And are you still using a Tamron 90mm (or was that the Sigma 105 you used?)?
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have the equivalent Sony unit and I have to say they are very useful in close quarters for herps.

Unfortunately, the Sony unit isn't wireless which is strange since Sony/Minolta have had wireless flash for over 20 years. Still the wires are almost never an issue and I don't get the third highlight from the wireless command light.

My only issue with my macro flash is that it is a bit more cumbersome to use versus a regular flash head with a plastic diffuser. For that reason, I have a habit of grabbing the regular flash instead. Once I do make the decision to use the twin/macro flash, I never regret it.

I do wish there was a field hardy diffuser option for them though. The diffusers that come with the Sony fall off and the attempts I have made to produce a field hardy diffuser for them have fallen short so far - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15712
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Thanks, Chris. My MT-24EX just arrived in the mail today and it came with Sto-Fen diffusers. I immediately noticed how easy they are to accidentally knock off when adjusting the position of the two flashes. Unfortunately, I still have to get an adapter so I can attach the macro light unit to my macro lens. Annoying!