tips to make this picture even better than it is

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

axeman2729

tips to make this picture even better than it is

Post by axeman2729 »

Ok, If you saw my post on the regular forum titled some salamander hunting after school you might recognize this picture. Its a picture of a Northern Slimy salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) that I found. Now I have been told this photo is amazing, but I also know that nothing is perfect. So what could make this picture better?

Kevin Price

Re: tips to make this picture even better than it is

Post by Kevin Price »

Garret,

I hope you don't take offense, but I used your image to show what I've done rather than just explain it. I changed the white balance to warm it up some, it was too blue and cool. I also cropped it to place the head and bulk of the body in the right and lower third of the frame (Google 'rule of thirds'). This positions the subject in a more pleasing way to the eye and the composition of the shot. Shots with the subject directly in the center rarely look good. Yours was not bad, I just moved it a little more down and to the right. I next added some contrast to make it 'pop' a little more, and added some sharpening.

All this took about two minutes, nothing complicated. I like the shot it looks natural, I just added what I think improves it a little more.

Kevin
axeman2729

Re: tips to make this picture even better than it is

Post by axeman2729 »

Thank you Kevin.