Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!?? - OOPS

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!?? - OOPS

Post by chrish » November 21st, 2013, 11:09 am

It seems the people at Adobe haven't recorded from the head injuries they suffered earlier when they came up with this idea. Now you can use Photoshop and Lightroom for the low price of $9.99 a month (minimum 1 year contract = $119.88).

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/ ... sdid=KIHZM

This is a truly monumentally dumb idea (which I know has been discussed over and over). However, they committed to it so I guess it is going to just be that way.
I guess they couldn't see enough of the $600 software licenses that only worked for 2 years before they mandated an upgrade.

At least you can still buy lightroom, for now?

User avatar
Nshepard
Posts: 377
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by Nshepard » November 21st, 2013, 1:50 pm

At this price point its making it a lot more tempting for myself.

I still don't wholeheartedly think they made a bad choice with ditching the store purchases and going to an online platform. However, the price point they originally asked was asking a lot of the more amateur crowd (like most of us), who just could not justify it. That is in part why I think they have left LR as a hard copy product purchase. Hopefully they will leave LR out of this solo digital store idea but I have to say I wouldn't be bad if they went with this LR + photoshop at $10/month gig as the regular price.

bgorum
Posts: 618
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:46 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by bgorum » November 21st, 2013, 2:58 pm

I subscribed. For $120/year I get very latest version of both Photoshop and Lightroom on both my Mac and my PC. I've got no complaints!

User avatar
Josh Young
Posts: 262
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Location: Wakulla County, Florida
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by Josh Young » November 22nd, 2013, 3:06 am

Seeing as to how I did a year subscription to just PS when they first started offering this, the fact that LR is now included and for only $9.99 a month makes me happy. I had no complaints using just PS through the subscription method, and it makes owning a licensed copy much easier for someone like me who is dead broke. I will be subscribing to this ASAP.

User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by chrish » November 22nd, 2013, 9:32 am

A question for those who do/have used it....

Is it totally cloud based or do you get to download the actual program?

My real concern is that if you stop paying for it, you have nothing. I currently have PS - CS2 (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14766) and LR 4. If I don't feel the need to upgrade, I can keep using these programs at no more cost in perpetuity. With the subscription based service, if you decide you don't want to pay any longer, you get nothing.

User avatar
Josh Young
Posts: 262
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Location: Wakulla County, Florida
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by Josh Young » November 22nd, 2013, 9:21 pm

You download it onto your computer just as you would the program from an install disk. You get assigned the serial number and that's it.

bgorum
Posts: 618
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:46 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by bgorum » November 23rd, 2013, 7:41 am

chrish wrote:A question for those who do/have used it....

Is it totally cloud based or do you get to download the actual program?

My real concern is that if you stop paying for it, you have nothing. I currently have PS - CS2 (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14766) and LR 4. If I don't feel the need to upgrade, I can keep using these programs at no more cost in perpetuity. With the subscription based service, if you decide you don't want to pay any longer, you get nothing.
You do download the programs and you can now use them on both Macintosh and Windows platforms, (Photoshop was always either or). If you're happy with the older versions then great, but CS2 will not open NEFs from the latest Nikon cameras and I am not all that enthralled with converting everything to DNG. Plus the newer versions of Adobe's software have some pretty cool features, (I like some of the lens corrections particularly). I'd be upgrading every couple years anyhow.

User avatar
Stohlgren
Posts: 603
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 9:59 am
Location: Athens, GA (Columbia, MO)

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by Stohlgren » November 23rd, 2013, 9:51 am

Josh Young wrote:You download it onto your computer just as you would the program from an install disk. You get assigned the serial number and that's it.
The big question is, if you stop paying, do you lose the service? If not, what would stop me from just paying the one year min. to get the software (which would be way cheaper than previous full versions of PS have been)? When I first heard of this CC photoshop, I was under the impression that you had to connect to the internet every month or so for the software to continue to work (and if you did't, or you stopped paying, PS would stop working).

bgorum
Posts: 618
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:46 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by bgorum » November 24th, 2013, 10:01 am

Stohlgren wrote:
Josh Young wrote:You download it onto your computer just as you would the program from an install disk. You get assigned the serial number and that's it.
The big question is, if you stop paying, do you lose the service? If not, what would stop me from just paying the one year min. to get the software (which would be way cheaper than previous full versions of PS have been)? When I first heard of this CC photoshop, I was under the impression that you had to connect to the internet every month or so for the software to continue to work (and if you did't, or you stopped paying, PS would stop working).
Naturally, if you quit paying for the service you lose it. Its my understanding that a big part of why Adobe has done this is because of all the people who obtained bootlegged copies of the older versions, rather than paying for them. Maybe those that are upset at Adobe for this should direct their anger instead at the people that pirate their (and others) software.

User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by chrish » November 25th, 2013, 7:16 am

bgorum wrote:I am not all that enthralled with converting everything to DNG.
I used to feel this way and had all my files in raw formats. I was hesitant to convert them to DNG and didn't see any reason to bother....until my hard disk started filling up.

I converted some of my images to DNG and I found out they took up 20% less hard disk space in that format. That's a big deal when you are talking about hundreds of Gb of photos. I now have all of them converted. It took a few hours, but it was automatic in LR so I just let it run.
I also converted all my TIF files from my slide scanner to DNG. Another big space saving.
I don't know if that is equally true with NEF files, but certainly it is a big advantage of DNG over the three raw file types I've compared (CR2, MRW, ARW).

I now import all my files into LR as DNG files. I can't tell any difference in processing.

User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by chrish » November 25th, 2013, 10:26 am

bgorum wrote:Its my understanding that a big part of why Adobe has done this is because of all the people who obtained bootlegged copies of the older versions, rather than paying for them. Maybe those that are upset at Adobe for this should direct their anger instead at the people that pirate their (and others) software.
I agree this was a problem. Part of the issue was inadequate anti-piracy protection by Adobe, IMHO. If someone bought or downloaded a copy of their software they were given a valid serial number. But then anyone with a valid serial number could download and install their own copies. I know of several individuals who "split" the software like this for years, i.e. one person buys it (usually someone who could get education prices) and then three or four people would install it. Yes, this is illegal, but Adobe stood there and watched it happen, IMHO.

I don't believe that was the primary reason. I think that Adobe knew that the only reason people upgraded later versions of PS was to get compatibility with their new camera bodies. But if I only buy a new camera every 5+ years, I don't need an upgrade. And Photoshop CS has a pretty great suite of tools....so why upgrade to CS2, 3, 4....? Frankly, I rarely use tools that weren't present in PS7.

By removing the "I'm ok with this version" option for future users, they guarantee a constant revenue stream. I don't like it, but I understand why they do it.

And frankly I have no right to bitch because I have no intention of buying photoshop again. I am fine with Lightroom.....and I did upgrade every time they brought out the new one.

I guess if you are a person who would buy photoshop and then buy all the upgrades, this is cheaper.....until you stop paying and end up with nothing. I guess they figure if someone would lease a car, why not software?

User avatar
TravisK
Posts: 772
Joined: July 8th, 2010, 10:14 am
Location: Eastern Washington

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by TravisK » December 4th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I have been thinking about picking up LR5. B&H has it right now for $72.99 (student/teacher).

User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!??

Post by chrish » May 17th, 2014, 3:59 am

Another great thing about paying for Adobe products by subscription service.....if their server goes down you can't access "your" software.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/05/15 ... =title_0_7

If you read their Twitter feed, you can see that many people who depend on using Adobe products and bought in to the Cloud Software solution are more than a little pissed off.
People who rely on it professionally are really screwed.

bgorum
Posts: 618
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:46 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Photoshop and Lightroom for only $9.99....a month!?? - O

Post by bgorum » May 19th, 2014, 2:46 pm

chrish wrote:Another great thing about paying for Adobe products by subscription service.....if their server goes down you can't access "your" software.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/05/15 ... =title_0_7

If you read their Twitter feed, you can see that many people who depend on using Adobe products and bought in to the Cloud Software solution are more than a little pissed off.
People who rely on it professionally are really screwed.
Actually you don't have to be logged onto the internet to use CC. I have Lightroom and Photoshop CC installed on my laptop and use it out in the field all the time with no internet access at all. Maybe the people that are pissed off are storing their pictures in the cloud? I've never had a problem.

Post Reply