Anyone use the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

azatrox

Anyone use the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens?

Post by azatrox »

I just bought this lens after reading multiple reviews about it. I'm confident that it's well worth the investment, but I'm interested to learn about people's personal experiences with it. If you use (or have used) this lens, I'd really appreciate some feedback re: optical quality, versatility, etc. If you have some sample pictures that would be great as well.

Thanks so much!

- Kris
Geqqo

Re: Anyone use the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens

Post by Geqqo »

I use the version before this newest model. I have been using this lens for a decade. I have gone through three of them but this was my fault not the lens's and I went so far as to buy the one I have used on ebay as they do not produce the older model anymore. I have not used the newer version and decided not to buy it because it was much heavier/larger, and I shoot almost exclusively handheld. and I didn't want to mess with the images I was already very happy with. I can not say enough about this lens. I only shoot film and use a canon eos 3 body. I have never felt the need to consider buying a canon lens. This lens is plenty sharp enough to produce a 20x30 print off a high quality scan (think nikon 5000 or minolta 5400 scanners or of course a drum scanner). I use this lens for ALL my photography. Macro, portrait, landscape, you name it. 95% of my images on flikr were taken with this lens. The scans are low quality crap but I think you can get the idea of how well it performs. You made a wise choice and now have a couple hundred extra bucks to spend on gas for the upcoming (terribly dry) season. Any more q's just ask, I love talking photography. I will leave you with a link to one of my sets on flikr. All the images in this set were taken with the sigma 105. The film is delta 3200 shot at 3200. All handheld. I think the gator lizard and canyon tree frog can give you a good idea of its macro capabilities. Feel free to check out the other sets too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geqqo/sets ... 705361486/

dan
azatrox

Re: Anyone use the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens

Post by azatrox »

Awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback!

- Kris