Flash options for Nikon D3200?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jakemyster44

Flash options for Nikon D3200?

Post by jakemyster44 »

I currently own a Nikon D3200 and am interested in adding a flash to my setup. I looked into the sb700 speedlite and it seems like it might be a good choice. Unfortunately, my camera's on board flash cannot act as a commander, so I would also need the su800 wireless commander unit in order to have i-TTL connection. I am wondering if just using a simple wireless flash trigger and manually adjusting flash settings is a feasible option for field photography? I want to avoid buying a ~$200 commander if possible. I imagine that wires would be a major pain, but I hope that manually setting the flash isn't a huge setback. Also, do you have any recommendations for other flash models all together? I have been enjoying macro photography and am quickly discovering the benefit of using a flash, and know that it will only be more apparent when I get some extension tubes. Thanks,
-Jake
kit fox

Re: Flash options for Nikon D3200?

Post by kit fox »

Another option is to consider manual flashes and radio triggers. I have an older Nikon D90, with two Cactus V5 (receiver / transmitters) and two different manual flashes (A Strobie 130, and a Lumopro LP 160.

A new LP 180 is $200.00
and a pair of Cactus V5s are $64.99

Far cheaper than a SB700 and the SU800
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Do not waste money on the wireless flash commander, it just doesn't give you enough options. What I would recommend to maximize your options of flash control is actually to get 2 SB700s. A second sb700 is less than 100 more than the commander, and you get a second usable flash. The SB700 has a commander function, so your flash on camera can trigger you second flash unit. When you really start to play around with different options for macro flash you will appreciate having two flash heads. If you can't afford it now, buy 1 and just use it on camera. It will be worlds better that your on camera flash with a good diffuser, and then you can get a second when you save up the money.

Jason
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

What about an SB-700 plus an SC-29 cord? I think that the cord preserves the commander function of the SB-700, but for a single flash set-up that really doesn't matter, since it still allows i-ttl with that flash. If it does preserve the commander function then that's an added bonus if you ever buy a second SB-700.
kit fox

Post by kit fox »

From my personnel experience (photographing two outdoor weddings) using both manual flashes with radio triggers, and an SB700 using Commander mode, I prefer the radio triggers and manual flashes. The main reason I prefer radio triggers, is due to poor performance of the IR signal used in the TTL system. Bright sunlight does degrade performance of IR signals when using the Commander mode. I had 100% reliability using the radio triggers, and less than 50% using the TTL system. Another downside to TTL flashes is the pre-flash often causes people to blink before the actual flash fires.

Manual flashes due take a bit of practice but, once you understand light theory they are easy to use. As long as you keep the same distance from the subject, little adjustment is needed. TTL flashes are easier (in that the camera figures out the flash output).

If you are really curiuos, check out this flash comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHEZmC3yRVA
jakemyster44

Post by jakemyster44 »

I think I will go with a single flash and radio trigger for now. As for the flash, would you recommend I go with the sb700 or would a cheaper manual flash serve me just as well? Thanks for the help
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

My set up is using the camera flash and a sb700 mounted on a side bracket in manual remote mode. Since most night shots tend to be in same ranges I just tested until I found the settings I liked for both macro and a little farther out with a couple different f-stops. I have both camera and remote flash set to manual. No cords or extra commanders to mess with.

As others have said, you'll love the results using 2 flashes.
kit fox

Post by kit fox »

jakemyster44 wrote:I think I will go with a single flash and radio trigger for now. As for the flash, would you recommend I go with the sb700 or would a cheaper manual flash serve me just as well? Thanks for the help
Read this, and consider the Lumopro LP 180 and Cactus V5 triggers.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2013/07/lu ... u.html?m=1