Lens Leaf

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Lens Leaf

Post by Kelly Mc »

I don't know if this is good or not but Ive got no choice but to use this device I got as a gift, because both my little cell phone and my camera died in the same time frame, and it hasn't been a friendly relationship but the camera on it is supposed to be decent for a smart phone and so im working on it.

So the awkward part was always worrying about the lens and dropping the slick phone, so I sent away for a leather case with a lens cap. I like it a lot the phone seems warmer and realer in my hand. It feels much better and makes me want to use it more.

Any way I wanted to clean the lens really nice before I shut it in the lens cap which closes flush as far as I can tell. Im not sure it matters but it seemed like the thing to do. I wanted to use the little lens cloth I got with my glasses but it was no where to be found and everything in here had cat hair.

So I looked beside me at my unruly arrow plant that is spilling runners and I plucked a wee tender baby leaf, barely unfurled and used it to wipe the lens and it worked beautifully. I know it did because I am always looking at it closely to see if I have scratched it yet and can see the dust and tiny smudges and the little leaf made it as clear as a water drop.

Sorry for the long story but Im excited to get on with my start stall start quest of herping with a camera. I know it is not a real camera but that's ok for now.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Re: Lens Leaf

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Good luck with your new camera! You might have heard of a device called "LensPen" - soft brush on one side, carbon "rubber sucker" on the other. First you clean any sand etc. off with the brush, then thoroughly clean the lens with the "sucker" bit. No liquids involved, amazing cleanness. I've been using it for seven years, with constant success and satisfaction (No, I don't own stock in LensPen(C))
chrish

Post by chrish »

Another vote for LensPens (and their knock offs). They are awesome, but they do wear out. I probably buy at least one new one per season. The also make a smaller diameter lens pen that is good for binoculars and probably phone camera lenses.

I also carry a bunch of those individual lens cleaner towelettes they sell at Walmart for a few bucks per 100. Sometimes a lens pen can't get the job done.

In general, I have learned over the years that people tend to overclean lenses. A few spots on the lens make no difference in the photo generally.

But I also have "UV fliters" on all my lenses so they original elelments stay clean in the field. I don't mind cleaning and don't worry about scratching an easily replaced UV filter.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks Guys!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

chrish wrote:But I also have "UV fliters" on all my lenses so they original elelments stay clean in the field. I don't mind cleaning and don't worry about scratching an easily replaced UV filter.
Don't they eat light?
chrish

Post by chrish »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
chrish wrote:But I also have "UV fliters" on all my lenses so they original elelments stay clean in the field. I don't mind cleaning and don't worry about scratching an easily replaced UV filter.
Don't they eat light?
Not any appreciable amount. Polarizing filters do, but UV/skylight filters really don't. And they are a lot easier to replace than a front lens element.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

chrish wrote:
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
Don't they eat light?
Not any appreciable amount. Polarizing filters do, but UV/skylight filters really don't. And they are a lot easier to replace than a front lens element.
Learned another thing today. Thank you!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Yep. They are really a great accessory, particularly if you take you camera out in hot, steamy muddy places.....like some people here do. :lol:

You can usually get a Lens pen at the nearest Wal-mart. Unfortunately for you that might be in Honolulu. ;)
Hans Breuer (twoton)

chrish wrote:Yep. They are really a great accessory, particularly if you take you camera out in hot, steamy muddy places.....like some people here do. :lol:
Hmmm ... worth a think, really. I do indeed suffer from those exotic issues.
You can usually get a Lens pen at the nearest Wal-mart. Unfortunately for you that might be in Honolulu. ;)
Actually, the next Wal-mart is just across the South China Sea in Shenzhen. But I get LensPens at local camera shops here in Kuching.