Camera suggestions

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

snakeguy101

Camera suggestions

Post by snakeguy101 » September 7th, 2010, 4:11 pm

I am on the market for a new camera and was wondering what you guys would suggest. I was looking at the cannon powershot s90, anyone here have experience with this camera? any other suggestions? I am looking for something under $400 and that I can do a bit more with than just a regular point and shoot.

Matt J

Re: Camera suggestions

Post by Matt J » September 7th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Isn't the S90 still a "regular point and shoot"? It seems like a fine camera for casual use but I wouldn't recommend it for herping. Apparently the size of it and its lack of a grip makes the camera very slippery, which is certainly not what you want with dirty herping-hands, lol.

Have you looked into "Super Zoom" point-and-shoots, such as Canon's SX20 IS? Still under your $400 limit but they feel more stable in your hand and are great for taking pics of those pesky turtles. I had a Canon S5 IS for a few years and loved it, a good first step before jumping in SLRs.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » September 10th, 2010, 3:56 pm

I'm in the market for the exact same thing. A good (Nikon or Cannon) camera with most of the features of an SLR but with HD video and in a more compact and cheap (<$500) package. The SX20 IS had all the features I wanted. It seamed like the perfect camera until I got to the reviews. Every review that compared it to an S2 gave it 1 out of 5 stars and called it horrible buy. Is there any camera out there comparable to the SX20 IS or am I stuck with terrible photo quality by being forced to go with the SX20 IS? I've thought about the coolpix L110 but don't think there's an external flash on it. does anyone have experience with this camera?

justinm

Post by justinm » September 10th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Look into the panasonic Lumix series they are pretty nice.

Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear » September 11th, 2010, 5:34 pm

The closest thing to a DSLR without being a DSLR is the Canon Powershot G-series. They have most of the functions of a DSLR except the interchangeable lenses, like complete control of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, RAW photo format, etc. As far as point-and-shoot cameras go, they are top of the line. I got a Powershot G9 in 2008, and I still use it frequently in the field even though I have a DSLR now as well. Here are some shots I've taken with the Powershot G9:

snakeguy101

Post by snakeguy101 » September 12th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I read a bunch of reviews on the cannon G11 because that is what I was looking into initially but all of the reviews said that it was about the same as the S90 as far as the amount that you can do with it and said that the size and price difference was not worth it and many opted for the s90 instead so I went ahead and got it. I have not been disappointed either for it being small enough to fit into my pocket, I am getting some phenomenal shots and love its ease of use. I will post some pics that I took with it up later but my photobucket account is having problems right now...

snakeguy101

Post by snakeguy101 » September 13th, 2010, 9:42 am

okay, here are some test shots with the new camera:

some were done as HDR using the cameras bracketing function. I am just starting out with photography so for now this camera is great. I will probably go ahead and invest in DSLR down the road once I get the hang of all the settings on this camera.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » September 13th, 2010, 1:55 pm

why aren't any of the macro shots in focus?

snakeguy101

Post by snakeguy101 » September 13th, 2010, 5:25 pm

still learning the functions. here are some better macro shots: