Tripod Suggestion Request

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Tripod Suggestion Request

Post by Kelly Mc » August 7th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Hi All,

So it looks like Im going to be using my smartphone camera if i want to take photos and video, because I just cant justify the expense of another device right now.

My situation is, I would like to use it for some herpetoculture documentation and i need a tripod because its impossible to shoot procedure or certain captive events without it.

Most of the vantage point i need is at waist or table level, rarely higher but for those things i will just have someone else shoot it if i need to be free. But usually there is no helper while Im working this way.

I need the camera to be beside me or just in front. It would be nice if its a good one with alot of articulation ability. It also may help my pics generally as they are blurry often as i am not a good photographer.

Thanks for any help!

gbin

Re: Tripod Suggestion Request

Post by gbin » August 8th, 2014, 5:11 am

I can't recommend a specific device from personal experience because I haven't shopped for one in a long, long time. You probably already have this in mind, but what you'll benefit most from, of course, is a tripod that does a good job of balancing small size/weight with sturdy balance. Go too much in either direction and it'll just be something you'll never bother to carry. While hiking recently I ran into a fellow on an Adirondack mountaintop (not one of the High Peaks but in that region) who was auto-shooting a series of the vista to catch the clouds sliding over the adjacent mountains. The wind was blowing quite a bit as it virtually always does in such places, but his tripod held his camera rock-solid. When he finished I watched him collapse it by both telescoping and folding its legs, and it ended up impressively small; when he let me heft it before he stowed it in his pack I didn't think it weighed all that much, either (though my wife and I have certainly differed in opinion on such things in the past). Sadly, I didn't get its name. But it's out there!

Gerry

justinm

Post by justinm » August 8th, 2014, 5:53 am

If you're needing a tripod just for the Smart phone, I would say look into the Gorilla pod. I have one, it won't support my DSLR, but certainly would a point and shoot or a phone. It can bend into almost any position as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GP1-A1EN-Gor ... B000EVSLRO

lateralis

Post by lateralis » August 8th, 2014, 11:22 pm

http://www.manfrotto.us/pixi

...you can't go wrong with Manfrotto

justinm

Post by justinm » August 13th, 2014, 7:08 pm

lateralis wrote:http://www.manfrotto.us/pixi

...you can't go wrong with Manfrotto
I told her the same, I love mine. The issue is that she wants light and flexible for a smart phone. Gorilla pod I think is the best way to go in this case.

lateralis

Post by lateralis » August 13th, 2014, 10:02 pm

yeah with a cell phone the pixie might be too big, but having tried the flexible versions I have found that in a seemingly short time they lose the ability to "hold" the position so I have stuck with static arms. Manfrotto makes another version that is very lite and much smaller, a true mini tripod if you will...I had to keep John Tashjian from snagging it out of my bag one day at the Steinhardt lol...
:beer: